Irish Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
  • 2 oz. Irish Whiskey
  • 1.5 oz. Irish Cream
  • Coffe to fill cup

Not authentic I know, but highly effective in these frigid temps. I'm telling you people...water is dang near freezing outside. :eek:

BlightyBrewer said:
Is this inclement weather for TX?
Yeah, we normally get a couple sub-freezing days a year...some years we never get any. That's here in the south...the north part of Baja Oklahoma can get pretty cold. :D

I know about Madison, WI...been there in february a couple of years ago. I went along to the kite festival, which was held on one of the smaller lakes (can't remember the name). It really freaked me out walking out on the frozen lake, especially as they had coned off a few areas that had broken through!

Yeah-- that's Lake Monona (acuatlly the 2nd largest in the county) they have Kite on Ice on.

At least one of those coned off areas is a warm water outlet from the local electric plant that uses lake water for cooling (cooling what? I dunno) and then cycles it back out to the lake-- it's warm even in winter in those places.

Already had several people fall through the ice-- been warmer than usual this fall/winter so the ice isn't 2 feet thick yet.

BlightyBrewer said:
Lake Monona, yeah that's it! Isn't there also something about buildings in Madison that can't be higher than the city hall?
Close...it's no building in Madison can be higher than the freshman dorm. ;)

thanks for the irish coffee tip EP. may sip one of those after cigar night tonight......

still chilly here. 39 degrees @223pm.....not movin' around much today....

El Pistolero said:
Close...it's no building in Madison can be higher than the freshman dorm. ;)

Or the state Capitol--- one of those 2. Can't tell them apart based on the hijinks going on inside.....

The rules were that you couldn't obstruct the view of the capitol, so tha tmore people could see and enjoy it. Since hte mid-90's they've been eroding that and more and more high rise office and condo buildings have been going up on the isthmus.

Related little known fact-- Wisconsin's capitol building is as tall as a state capitol is allowed to be, just a little shorter than the US capitol building.

kornkob said:
Related little known fact-- Wisconsin's capitol building is as tall as a state capitol is allowed to be, just a little shorter than the US capitol building.
You mean there's a federal law saying that state capitals can't be taller than the US Capital? :mad: Talk about a stupid, worthless, un-needed piece of legistation. :mad:

El Pistolero said:
  • 2 oz. Irish Whiskey
  • 1.5 oz. Irish Cream
  • Coffe to fill cup

Not authentic I know, but highly effective in these frigid temps. I'm telling you people...water is dang near freezing outside. :eek:

My mother used to serve that at christmas etc in the evening - recipe as you say but the whiskey and coffee in first and float a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Nowadays i'd rather forget the cream and just have the whiskey. Save the coffee til morning!

El Pistolero said:
You mean there's a federal law saying that state capitals can't be taller than the US Capital? :mad: Talk about a stupid, worthless, un-needed piece of legistation. :mad:

isn't the texas capital larger than the u.s. one? whatever protrudes from the top stands like 10 ft. taller than the u.s. one...i thought (remembering from a tour when i was like 8 years old). one of those 'everythings bigger in TX" things i thought.

El Pistolero said:
  • 2 oz. Irish Whiskey
  • 1.5 oz. Irish Cream
  • Coffe to fill cup

Dang, I knew I forgot something. I forgot to add the Irish Cream and the coffee. And to think, I was drinking the stuff straight.
It was 31 when I woke up this morning. Weather that cold should be declared a National Disaster.

DeRoux's Broux said:
just like flags. the Texas state flag is the only flag in the Union that can fly even w/ Old Glory.
I think the reason is because Texas used to be its own country. Country flags are flown at the same level. State flags below. :D

Used to be no building was allowed to be taller than Billy Penn's hat in Philly. Big business lawyers got that changed too.

Man, it was -6 here last night. The night before was much colder - my company had four trucks jell up, with winter blend and anti-jell additives no less.

My diesel jelled two weeks ago. Dr. Scholls can kiss my ass, there's nothing good about jelling. I'm used to that brand new Hino ripping up the hills at 75, not putting up them at barely 50.

Ironic, I posted last weekend about driving around with my windows open and stereo blasting. Colorado weather.

homebrewer_99 said:
I think the reason is because Texas used to be its own country. Country flags are flown at the same level. State flags below. :D

Used to be no building was allowed to be taller than Billy Penn's hat in Philly. Big business lawyers got that changed too.
yep, the Republic of Texas.
i think the TX Capital Blsg is a little taller than the US Capital, but LA is still the tallest (i think?).

The happy mug said:
Man, it was -6 here last night. The night before was much colder - my company had four trucks jell up, with winter blend and anti-jell additives no less.

My diesel jelled two weeks ago. Dr. Scholls can kiss my ass, there's nothing good about jelling. I'm used to that brand new Hino ripping up the hills at 75, not putting up them at barely 50.

Ironic, I posted last weekend about driving around with my windows open and stereo blasting. Colorado weather.
dude, stay in and drink a few winter warmers! :D

Beermaker said:
Anything North of Dallas is Baja Okie right EP
Anything south of the red river is Baja Oklahoma, except for Beaumont, which we've ceeded to Lousiana. ;)

Austin is the capital of Baja Oklahoma, and also the home of the University of Baja (UB...don't call it BU, they don't like that).

DeRoux's Broux said:
we call it tu....bu is for bears........
It was necessary for Baylor to change their name to avoid confusion (and scandals caused by their basketball players shooting each other)...they are now BMU (Baha Methodist University). And before anyone asks, Denton is the home of UNB (Univ. of North Baja), Lubbock is the home of Baja Tech, and or course everyone knows where Baja A&M is located. :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
wouldn't that be Baja Baptist u? Baja Methodist U is in Dallas??????
My bad...apologies to SMU (which didn't have to change their name). And of course I realize now that I forgot BCU over in Ft. Worth. :D

BeeGee said:
Hmmm...BMU hasn't changed their jerseys yet. Saw them play soccer Friday night against UMD (the Turtles) and they still said SMU.
Some of the old Texas bureaucrats are having a little trouble accepting the inevitable, but they'll come around when they realize that lynching of politicians is still encouraged in Oklahoma. :D

BeeGee said:
Hmmm...BMU hasn't changed their jerseys yet. Saw them play soccer Friday night against UMD (the Turtles) and they still said SMU.

i missed the ncaa final game cause i went skiing. even though i hate new mexico i was glad to see them in the finals. only because it shows how awesome my college soccer team, fort lewis (div. 2 national champs), is...we played new mexico earlier this year when they were ranked #1 and beat them, and i'm sure we could play with any of the div. 1 teams and beat them.

Probably...they looked like hacks to me (NM), but I'm not a huge soccer fan so I suppose they got to the finals somehow. I play a little and the tourney was here, so I went. I was pulling for UMD because they're "local", but I was especially glad they won when the NM coach said that UMD was lucky because their penalty kick went in. I suppose if NM's penalty kick had gone in he'd of felt like that was just luck also :confused:

Latest posts

Back