I'm holding him hostage til I know what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamminjoenapo

Reaction score
Finally got better pictures of what I think might be eating my hops. Any ideas on what this guy is and if he is beneficial or bad? As the title says I have him hostage in a jar and am not gonna let him out til I know if he is good.
photo.png

bonsai4tim said:
some type of leaf hopper (adult). Larvae and adults eat leaves, suck sap, generally bad for plants.

t

+1. I found some of these as well. I'm pretty sure they were munching. One of them looked like it had eags on its back. Crazy looking creators. That was last week. RIP.

Yup, looks like a leafhopper. Leafhoppers can be bad news if their numbers get above a certain threshold. I started having problems with them about a month ago when I noticed some leafhopper nymphs on my hops (actually when looking at my hops I really noticed the foamy secretion that goes along with the leafhopper nymphs). I got them under control after about a week or two of spraying insecticidal soap every single day, but not before my cascades took a bit of a hit. A good bit of my early foliage is pretty torn up because of those suckers.

Safer 3 in 1 insect spray may help a bit keep spraying the plants till harvest time comes about I have the same problem, also cutting the grass down by your hops wont hurt and might help to the bugs like to stay there

Back