Creating a Imperial Pumpkin Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhimself

Reaction score
Alright guys. So, I may be a little out of my league here, but this is where you guys come in... in helping me learn and make sure I don't screw up.

I am wanting to recreate a certain beer. It is more seasonal for around October, as it contains pumpkins, but I want to take a stab at it now so I can work out all the kinks. This will be my 4th brew attempt.

Basically, its an imperial stout with pumpkins and pumpkin spice. It is to be modeled after Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve #9. It averages 11% ABV.

I want an extract recipe. So, that leaves me with a few options...

I could take AHS' Cannon Ball Stout recipe (10%), use the 1% alcohol booster, and just add my pumpkins and spice. Its an imperial stout and this seems like the most logical road.

I could work with my fellow HBTers and create my own recipe, but I am a newb in this department. I have an idea on how to go about this as most imperial stouts tend to follow a certain recipe. I also have BeerSmith and have been toying around in it.

Lastly, I could take one of the recipe off here or elsewhere in the web and just add pumpkins. Personally, I am leaning towards the AHS route.

I have been doing my research and here it is:

Austin Homebrew Supply Recipe Kit: Cannon Ball Stout
I Love Beer's DR#9 Article
Houston Press' DR#9 Article, includes video
Official Saint Arnold's Website on DR9
Twitpic of the pumpkins used
BeerAdvocate: Divine Reserve #9

Straight off the website:
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:

Finally some pics!:

4161947070_d2f4ca776e.jpg

I am even considering to go all out and use tap water from Houston (from there, so an easy get). Also, buying the same pumpkins they used (libbys).

I am just wondering when I should add the pumpkins and spice to achieve that same great flavor.

On a side note, I am picking up a six pack of DR#9 this weekend. I would love to trade one or two of them for some other beers. I can get some other great stuff around here too to add in as well. It would great for research!

Anyways, thanks to anyone that can help.

Did you ever make a clone for this divine reserve? I am been trying to put together and find a clone for the Pumpkinator ever since it came out last year. My absolute favorite beer ever made. Still have three in the closet!

I know this is an old post, but given the season I thought it was appropriate to revive it. I am looking to do a Saint Arnold's Pumpkinator (essentially the exact same as DR#9, now its seasonal) clone with fresh pumpkin from a nearby nursery. Please anyone with experience making a clone of this, share your recipes and thoughts. Here's some enlightenment from SA's webpage. They used:

- Pale 2-Row
- Caramel malt
- Black malt
- Cascade and Liberty hops
OG= 1.101
FG= 1.020

The pumpkin is baked on a cookie sheet and added into the mash. Molasses, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar are added to the boil. I have also read that they dry spice in the secondary to add spice profile.

Back