Dubbel or tripel fermentation times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke shifter

Reaction score
Hi to all. I am new to this wonderful hobby. Have brewed two batches thus far and am interested in trying a high gravity beer. Based on reading and the basics I have applied the 1,2,3 rule (1 week primary, 2 week secondary, and 3 weeks bottle conditioning) for my first batches. Now my question. What's the deal with fermentation times of higher gravity beers like dubbels or tripels? Based on my basic understanding, these beers take longer to brew. How does this increased time impact the overall process for primary, secondary or bottle phase?? Thanks in advance for any insights.

The 1-2-3 rule is good when you are first starting out, but after a while you will learn to recognize the signs of complete primary fermentation. Most notably the state of the krausen - if it has fallen back into the beer you're done primary. After it clears and darkens you're done in secondary. Another rule for aging is one week per 10points of your beer's OG. 1.070=7 weeks.

Brew on, and welcome to the board!

Thanks. So would that be a week per OG point in the bottle or secondary? I use a glass carboy for my primary and have picked up on the visual cues for when it is time to transfer to secondary. STill a little unclear on the time differences/durations between secondary and bottle conditioning.

smoke shifter said:
Thanks. So would that be a week per OG point in the bottle or secondary? I use a glass carboy for my primary and have picked up on the visual cues for when it is time to transfer to secondary. STill a little unclear on the time differences/durations between secondary and bottle conditioning.

That's a week per 10 OG points, and it's in the bottle.

Secondary is basically just a clean evironment to let the yeast settle out and the beer clear itself. Any finings you wish to use or dry hopping should also be done in secondary. The beer will age in secondary, but most people don't really count that as part of the aging time.

Latest posts

Back