Blackberry Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to brew a Blackberry Witbier in the next few days. At what point is best for adding the blackberry flavoring? Should I add it at the end of the boil or after active fermentation?

Ive got a blackberry witbier in the keg right now conditioning....I put in half the can of puree at fermentation and then used sorbate and added the last half the can of puree in the keg.
Sorbate was used so the yeast wouldn't ferment anything after the primary fermentation was complete.
It tastes pretty good, but a sharp tartness with the blackberry, its been in the keg for a month and has been fading nicely...should be ready to drink soon.

now if you using the concentrated flavoring add that at bottling/kegging time

hope this gives some info

I do plan to use concentrate because I had it already. Is that Ok or do you suggest I use a fresh purée?

So just to be clear I would add the concentrate to the bottling bucket just as I would add the priming sugar?

Thanks for the info!

thats exactly right, add the concentrate with the priming sugar in the bottling bucket. this is the first time ive used puree and havnt had a chance to taste the final product yet but ive used concentrate in the past with good results

I would think it'd be just as effective if you racked to secondary...along the lines of dry hopping or adding other ingredients. It seems like you might get more of the blackberry flavor if it was allowed to blend together for a longer time in secondary.

But right in the bottling bucket should work fine too. And it's easier.

Back