Removing labels *after* bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidMoxie

Reaction score
Long story short: I'm not going to have time to remove the labels off the empty bottles I'm about to fill. Does anyone know of any problems with removing the labels (soaking in PBW/Oxyclean/etc) *after* capping?

I do it quite frequently and haven't had any problems. I try to keep the bottles upright, and don't use as hot of water as I normally would.

Okay, good to know! I was thinking that if I just used lukewarm water it would be fine, but I didn't know if the cleaners would corrode the bottle caps or something like that.

Okay, good to know! I was thinking that if I just used lukewarm water it would be fine, but I didn't know if the cleaners would corrode the bottle caps or something like that.

Bottle caps don't even need to touch the cleaner. the bottles will stand upright in water since they're full.

The water doesn't even need to be warm. I've re-used the same oxyclean/water for several batches of bottles to delabel them (read: Sitting at room temperature for months) and the cold water works just as well.

The bottles being filled will actually be convenient because they will sink but still stay upright.

I can't speak to the bottle caps. Maybe sprinkle the oxyclean into the bottom of a rubbermaid storage tote, arrange the bottles so they stay upright, and fill with water until the neck-labels are submerged, but the caps aren't??

*Edit: Discnjh beat me to it

Back