A very merry holidays for mead making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGenBrewer

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I hope all of you had a great holiday? I'm normally not one to brag... but I just had to say that my SWMBO's gift this year was great! I finally got myself a demi-john!:ban:

The question I have is it's suppose to be up to 15 gallons. I've heard only 14 are usable though. Should I just triple my 5 gallon recipes or do you think I should adjust for the missing gallon?

Again, hope everybodies holidays go great!

Hello fellow brewers! I hope all of you had a great holiday? I'm normally not one to brag... but I just had to say that my SWMBO's gift this year was great! I finally got myself a demi-john!:ban:

The question I have is it's suppose to be up to 15 gallons. I've heard only 14 are usable though. Should I just triple my 5 gallon recipes or do you think I should adjust for the missing gallon?

Again, hope everybodies holidays go great!

Hum? I suspect it's a case of establishing the exact size (with water) and then scaling the recipe accordingly.

Personally, while I routinely use between 3 and 3.5lb honey per gallon (Imperial gallon or 4.55 litres), I mix the minimum of honey in most of the water to get a guide gravity measurement. I then have some idea of whether I need to add the last bit of honey to bring the gravity up a bit or whether I need to dilute a little to reduce it......

S'up to you....

regards

fatbloke

Back