Smithwick's Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 5 gallon recipe for a Smithwick's clone that uses extract. I really like Smithwick's and I've found quite a few clones that use AG mashes, but I'd prefer to use extract since this is only my third batch.

Also, on an unrelated note, when steeping specialty grains (such as Crystal Malt) for a recipe, is that considered partial mash?

Thanks Noodle, I'll check that out. I need to make this soon (its for someones birthday) so I'm not sure if I can order it on time, but I appreciate the point in the right direction.

If anyone knows the specific ingredients in this kit, I'd love to know so I could purchase it at my LHBS. Thanks again Noodle.

I found this recipe on a forum, guy said it came out with more flavor then Smithwicks and he was a fan. Worst case scenario i see is that you have 5 gallons of decent beer to drink.

7 lbs Muntons light DME
1lb crushed Crystal Malt
6oz. cracked roasted barley

2 tsp. gypsum

1.5 oz Fuggles 4.5 alpha
.5 oz kent goldings - no alpha listed

WLP004 yeast - White Labs Irish Ale yeast

recipe called for 75 minute boil on the fuggles - my notes indicate only a 45 minute boil on the fuggles

Sweet! Looks like I just found my next batch of beer! Looking through the list, Austin has quite a few good kits - I may have to order a few from them!

Thank you gomb. Smithwick's isn't too bitter so I may go with your 45 minutes. Then again 4.5 alpha isn't much so maybe 60 mins wouldn't bitter it too much.

Why do some beers add gypsum? That's like the same thing as drywall... right? I've seen recipes with chalk as an ingredient too, what purpose do those odd ingredients have?

Oh and what do your notes say about the Kent Goldings, how long do you boil?
And when do you add the gypsum? during the boil? flameout?

Personally, I find that 2oz of black patent instead of the 6oz of roasted barley makes a beer that tastes more smithwicks-like. It's also important to use 1084 Irish Ale yeast (or the WL equivalent, 004, I think), nothing else tastes quite right here

Why do some beers add gypsum? That's like the same thing as drywall... right? I've seen recipes with chalk as an ingredient too, what purpose do those odd ingredients have?

I believe the gypsum (or chalk) is added as a way to balance the PH of the brewing water for the steeping grains. At least that's what makes sense to me.

Ya Gypsum is just for adjusting your waters chemical compound. I never use the stuff so i can only comment on what science has proven, as there are alot of wives tales about what gypsum does to a beer. The kent goldings i would shoot for 10-15min boil most likely, no real hop aroma in smithwicks. If you feel like using gypsum, i would toss it in around the sametime as the goldings.

Sounds good, I'll try the gypsum and hope for the best. Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.

Latest posts

Back