Frozen Cherries Vs. Cherry Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I am debating rather than using the cherry extract I have for my cherry wheat ale, buying some frozen cherries, defrosting them and steeping them at the end of the boil (Joy of brewing suggested a 20 minute steep right after turning off the flame) If I go this route how many pounds of cherries for a 5 gal batch? Also could I add them frozen to begin cooling the wort during the steep? I don't have a chiller.

TIA

Ray

I would recommend using them in a secondary fermenter. I haven't sued cherries yet in a brew. I am not sure of the quantity you would use.

I would recommend the cherry juice concentrate instead of the extract. I have made a few batches with it and it works. Still tinkering with the recipe but I am on the right track. I have tried several different brands but I settled on the sediment-free cherry juice concentrate from Fruit Advantage. With the sediment free guarantee you don't have to worry about it breaking apart.

Latest posts

Back