Making first Cab Sauv - need ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergravi

Reaction score
Big beer brewer - trying a cab sauv for the first time. Guy at supply store told me to just use what was in the box - don't add anything. But......

Getting close to bottling - chemicals put in about 2 weeks ago. Took a little taste sample today - not bad. But, my girlfriend asked me to sweeten it just a bit. Is it too late? Could I add some apple slices or apple juice and let it set for a few more days or am i just too late for all that?? If I could still do it, what would you recommend if not apple? I like my wines red and dry and don't want anything overly sweet.

Thanks!

Big beer brewer - trying a cab sauv for the first time. Guy at supply store told me to just use what was in the box - don't add anything. But......

Getting close to bottling - chemicals put in about 2 weeks ago. Took a little taste sample today - not bad. But, my girlfriend asked me to sweeten it just a bit. Is it too late? Could I add some apple slices or apple juice and let it set for a few more days or am i just too late for all that?? If I could still do it, what would you recommend if not apple? I like my wines red and dry and don't want anything overly sweet.

Thanks!

You could use whatever you want to sweeten- sugar, honey, apple juice, etc. But I love cab and wouldn't dare abuse it by sweetening it! Cab itself is a dry red table wine.

Can you live with this batch, and make your girlfriend something should would like? If she likes sweet stuff, those Island Mist kits are pretty darn good. My best friend makes a couple of them all the time, and they are ready to bottle in like 30 days and great for sipping by the pool. Otherwise, some other wine varieties may be better.

Awesome - great advice. I really didn't want to mess with it. Good as-is. I'll make her something else.

Good to know I can add stuff to sweeten it at anytime if I wanted to.

Thanks.

Awesome - great advice. I really didn't want to mess with it. Good as-is. I'll make her something else.

Good to know I can add stuff to sweeten it at anytime if I wanted to.

Thanks.

Yes, after it's been stabilized it can have just about anything added. As long as fermentation was over when it was stabilized, and it's racked off of the lees, sweetening is pretty simple and straightforward. I like almost all of my wines dry, but for a few that I've sweetened I've found that plain sugar syrup (white sugar dissolved and boiled in some water) works great and is easy to control, while honey is also really good in some white wines (like my crabapple wine).

Back