Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first batch, so I am ultra paranoid about most components of it.

I just started the fermentation process two days ago. On the first day, I placed it in a closet on the ground floor so it would stay in a dark place with consistent temperature. Unfortunately, the temperature was slightly above 78 degrees F.

I moved it upstairs last night (where it stays consistently much cooler). I did hear quite a bit of activity from the air lock, and the temperature dropped to 70 degrees F.

This morning, I watched the airlock for a good 5 or 6 minutes and did not see any activity. Did the change in temperature stop the yeast? Or is this normal after the first 24 hours?

Since I am new, any explanation behind the science of it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Any chance you know your OG of the batch? What yeast? When it was 78+ degrees, was the fermentation going crazy?

Hi :)

Yes the OG of the batch was 1.041, using WINDSOR yeast. And the entire time it was at 78+, it was going crazy (audibly). Not enough to blow the airlock but certainly enough to listen to consistent clicks.

After moving it to a lower temperature, the airlock activity went way down. I did happen to catch a few bubbles come through throughout the day but it is noticeably less than before.

I just worry I might have killed the yeast.

I just pitched Windsor into 5.5 gallons of honey ale a couple days ago and gad a similar experience, with milder temperature changes. I pitched at about 78 degrees and it went nuts in the first 36 hours. Huge Krausen and non-stop airlock bubbles. I had my carboy inside a rubbermaid filled with water, but the temp wasn't coming down any so I wrapped a towel around it (allowing it to soak up water) and threw a box fan about 5 feet in front of it. It was still fermenting along happily that afternoon, but when I checked it the next morning the temp had dropped to around 74 and activity had slowed way down.

I was worried at first that I had killed the yeast but after reading a bit more and consulting some friends, this seems to be ok with this yeast. It just drops off after around 48 hours if it had a good warm start. I'm going to rack it to a secondary this evening since it had a lot of trub in the carboy, and I want to preserve some of the honey flavor.

I'll try to remember to update this thread when I taste a bottle and let you know how it turned out.

Hi :)

Yes the OG of the batch was 1.041, using WINDSOR yeast. And the entire time it was at 78+, it was going crazy (audibly). Not enough to blow the airlock but certainly enough to listen to consistent clicks.

After moving it to a lower temperature, the airlock activity went way down. I did happen to catch a few bubbles come through throughout the day but it is noticeably less than before.

I just worry I might have killed the yeast.

Don't worry, you haven't killed the yeast...it was going crazy at 78+ degrees as this is too too hot IMO! Fermentation is likely done or very near done, and is why it has slowed activity at the airlock. Next time try and ferment cooler, mid to low sixties of the actual beer temp, not room temp.

Back