Just sent the IPA to the secondary ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IPA secondaries are the worst, because they are all "I smell like finished beer, but you can't have me yet neener neener neener"

andrewskibrewski said:
21 days left

As an IPA are you dry hopping for the full 21 days? That's a long time and you may develop some unwanted grassy piss flavors, IMVHO 5-14 days is more than adequate and you would like to get it packaged as soon as the dry hop is complete to retain that burst of hop aroma. The hop aroma can degrade pretty quickly if left too long. I dry hop all my IPAs for no more than 5-7 days.

duboman said:
As an IPA are you dry hopping for the full 21 days? That's a long time and you may develop some unwanted grassy piss flavors, IMVHO 5-14 days is more than adequate and you would like to get it packaged as soon as the dry hop is complete to retain that burst of hop aroma. The hop aroma can degrade pretty quickly if left too long. I dry hop all my IPAs for no more than 5-7 days.

Long time? Interesting. 7 to 14 maybe. However I have done both. I usually fridge it after 14, maybe on 21 day I tap it. Co2 to keep it good and charged. By then it's carbonated and ready to enjoy. Cheers keep em coming
'

Back