Bargainfittings and 70qt Coleman Xtreme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl_Grey

Reaction score
Recently I acquired one of these coolers for a mash tun and would like to put a valve on it. Ive measured the thickness of the wall and it looks like a 2 inch nipple would be the way to go. The hole with the factory plug pulled out is 1inch in diameter and on the valve kit page it says its meant for holes no larger than 7/8inch. Can you reuse the plastic drain pipe insert? Its about 1/2inch in diameter. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just did one of these not too long ago here. Mine was the marine version, but shouldn't differ as far as the fittings go. I used the 1.5" cooler kit from Bargain Fittings and it worked fine, no leaks and turned out reasonably sturdy. I reused the stock gasket, and added the kit's washer then a coupler on the inside. It's a tight fit, but leak free. No modifications were required to the cooler. 2" would probably work, but might be a wee bit too long, requiring additional washers for shims.

I do think I might change the vessel's fittings up a little bit, but mainly because I feel my valve's handle gets too close to the cooler in the stock configuration. I haven't decided how I'm going to do this, whether it'll be with a 2" nipple and shims or add a couple/nipple on the outside. Good luck!

Yes, reuse the plastic gasket from the drain. I found the 2" nipple too long. See the MLT build thread in my sig.

Latest posts

Back