another "getting into all grain" question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweez

Reaction score
Ive got a few questions for all you a.g. gurus out there. Im getting prepped to go a.g, just ordered my 10 gallon mega pot from northern brewer, and i have access to 2 keggles that im going to convert to keggles.

Any concerns or comments on using the lid that i cut off the keg for the false bottom? Im going to order the bulkheads, valves, therms, drop tubes and sight glass off of weldless fittings.com.

Are sight tubes necessary? Or just use a premeasured spoon/stick?

My brew rig will be 2 keggles, and my 10 gal megapot with propane burners on them all. What are your thoughts on that? How hard is it to maintain your temp for 60 mins? Should i buy a 10 gal rubbermaid beverage cooler for my mash tun?

Or is it easier/just as efficient to do the b.i.a.b method?

Thanks for the info. Maybe i should just relax and have a homebrew...

+1 to all the above, but you don't really need to all that stuff for good AG brews. Just a cooler/ mash tun; real easy ways to convert them suckers, 10 g pot for sure, couple thermometers you can test against each other(boiling/ice), some vinyl tubing....that's pretty much all I use & I'm turning out great AG brews consistantly. But, you may have bigger ambitions with your setup. I'm happy with my results, being the most simple is often times the most predictable and effective. Just a thought... But BrewOn, my friend!

I do Brew in a Bag all grain. From the time that I start bringing my equipment and grains to the kitchen until I have everything washed and put away tends to be about 4 hours. I use one pot for the mash and boil and then chill by putting that same pot full of wort into a big plastic tub of water that I run more water through, spilling the excess out onto the lawn as it becomes warm. Sometime I might get around to making a pre-measured spoon but for now I just use a tape measure to get the proper amount of water when I fill and if the final amount isn't perfect, it still makes beer.

This is my all grain set up... I started with a 5 gallon igloo then upgraded to a home depot rubbermaid 10 gallon. Aluminum HLT with burner on top tier and stainless brew kettle on a burner down low. I have been all grain from the start and this what I have used to make alot of beer! In the future I do plan on converting 2 kegs that I have.... just because! But it's not necessary!

ForumRunner_20120905_080357.jpg

All of what you described works for all grain brewing.

You really have to look at all the options and decide what will work best for you.

I started with extract, then partial mash to all grain. I opted for gravity fed 10 gallon HLT pot up top, 10 gallon converted drink cool mash tun in the middle and 10 gallon SS pot boil kettle on the bottom.

For me, I find BIAB in anything more that 3 gallon batches too much of a hot, sticky, heavy mess!

thanks fellas. I think Im definitely going to get some kind of insulation for my keggle/mash tun to help hold my temps.

If turning on the heat on my mash is needed to maintain temp is it ok to stir up the mash so it doesnt get scortched?

thanks fellas. I think Im definitely going to get some kind of insulation for my keggle/mash tun to help hold my temps.

If turning on the heat on my mash is needed to maintain temp is it ok to stir up the mash so it doesnt get scortched?

Not just OK, it's imperitive. How else will you know when you have added enough heat? You have to stir like mad and take temps so you don't overshoot.

It's better if you don't have to add heat at all.:rockin:

Back