Cigar City Guava Grove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I don't usually post my beer reviews on here, but this one definitely deserves it. I am not usually a saison fan, but this is actually a really nice sour ale that's not only relatively cheap for a sour, but it's amazingly refreshing and drinkable!

There is just something special about beer being served out of a 750 ml bottle. Aesthetically pleasing and making that trademark, "gloop, gloop" sound when pouring, it creates a wonderful mood.

Appearance: A very hazy, earthy copper tone with minimal, fine white head that dissipates quickly, but a ring of foam remained at the glass/beer interface of my St. Bernardus goblet throughout the session. Unexceptional.

Aroma: Wow! Wonderfully sour pineapple-like aroma with some, but not overwhelming acetic character and lemons shining through. Clearly, this is a sour example of the style that was fermented with Brettanomyces in addition to your standard saison yeast.

Taste: Tastes refreshing and tart up front, and lingers deliciously fruity-sweet on the palate. Minimal alcohol warmth - you'd never think that this is an 8% ABV beer!

Mouthfeel: Dry and very carbonated. Lingers somewhat silky due to the salivation it induces.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, and dangerously so given the high ABV. Perfect for a warm fall evening in Florida.

Overall: Highly recommended. Excels as a sour beer and a fruit beer.

Back