Color Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So it looks like Beer Calculus doesnt have extra light LME and I dont have anything else that I know of to calculate color. I have a can of the extra light LME, 3 pounds of extra light DME, and a pound of light DME. How much Crystal 70L(half 80, half 60) do I need to make my brew red?

With 1lb of 70 in there your at a nice red color but that single lb bumps your Og up about 5pts so be carful with how much you add.

Really a pound of 70 gets me to red? Excellent, nice even number thanks for the help...I actually wanted to use some more crystal since I want a higher ABV than I originally thought for a real imperial red.

Really a pound of 70 gets me to red? Excellent, nice even number thanks for the help...I actually wanted to use some more crystal since I want a higher ABV than I originally thought for a real imperial red.

You don't want to boost your ABV by adding more and more crystal. One pound is great for color, but if you go higher than that, the flavor you're going to getwon't be so great. The crystal malts can become cloying very fast when used in too high of a percentage.

You don't want to boost your ABV by adding more and more crystal. One pound is great for color, but if you go higher than that, the flavor you're going to getwon't be so great. The crystal malts can become cloying very fast when used in too high of a percentage.

Interesting, didnt know that. My crystal is only 12% of fermentables, that seems ok...I think. ABV is only 6.4 too.

Back