Mackeson XXX AG Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
Anyone have a Mackeson XXX All Grain recipe?

I've found this one on the greenboard, and I am interested in your feedback. Hopefully I pick up the grain bill tomorrow and brew on Thursday!

Mackeson XXX Stout Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.25
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.09
Anticipated SRM: 100
Anticipated IBU: 27.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
63.4 6.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
9.8 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
9.8 1.00 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
7.3 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
2.4 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt Great Britain 1.027 525
7.3 0.75 lbs. Milk Sugar Generic 1.030 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.65 oz. Wye Target Pellet 8.00 27.8 90 min.
(3/4 oz target hops should be fine)

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Tablet Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1028 London Ale

Notes
-----
Mash around 154F.

Lactose added to full boil.

Bottle with 2/3 cup corn sugar and 2 oz. lactose.

Check the Clonebrews book - it has extract, mini-mash and AG versions of Mackeson XXX. I can personally attest to the excellence of the extract recipe :mug:

skifast1 said:
Check the Clonebrews book - it has extract, mini-mash and AG versions of Mackeson XXX. I can personally attest to the excellence of the extract recipe :mug:

The downside is that I don't have the Clonebrews book, and i wish I did so that i could follow the instructions they have.

I picked up the ingredients and this will be my first AG attempt, plus I'm going to try and use the fly sparge equipment I bought yesterday so who knows how it will turn out!:tank:

$10 new at Amazon, $8 used. Definitely worth it if you want to replicate brews, either to test your technique or just to have some good recipies (I'm the latter).

Clone brews is good and their next book "Beer Captured" has a lot of excellent general information and yeast/malt/grains/hops/water/etc charts that are very helpful. highly recommended.

Argh! I just placed an order at Borders and picked it up at my local store and didn't realize until I just got home that they gave me the wrong freakin' book.

I ordered Clone Brews and they gave me North American Clone Brews!

Damn it, damn it!

Well I'm going to try and brew it anyway. Fuggin' Borders bastages!

Edit: Well it appears that I messed up, as they don't even have the normal clone brews book on their site. Kinda pissed that when I did a search for Clone brews I didn't look at the top part of the book.

Anywho, I ordered it from walmart for $11.47 shipped. Amazon adds $4 for shipping so Walmart was the better deal. It won't be here until next week, but that will have to do. Now off to brew!

Latest posts

Back