MO SmaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
So i've decided to brew a Smash with my MO bulk purchase. TO get the malty character from the MO what should my mash temp be? I was thinking either 154 or 152.. but i did some reading and some people are saying to mash it lower for better attenuation. I was hoping to get some malt flavor that i've been missing in many of my beers. but i don't want to leave a big sweetness either. Any thoughts?

I mashed my couple of MO smashes at 158. I also use a higher attenuating yeast. You do need to take that into account. Just blanketly picking a mash temp isnt going to give you the results you desire without taking all the variables into account. Other variables might impact this as well, like length of rest time, etc. If you know your system you can probably hit it first or second attempt.

Both of my smashes were around 1.055-60 or so (IIRC) and both finshed around 1.012-4 with a high mash temp. They both had that signature MO flavor....pretty nice.

I've done to MO smashes as well. One with centennial and one with amarillo. You are going to have the biscuity malt character no matter what mash temp you use. Mash temperatures will only effect fermentability of your wort.

well i pulled it off... 22#'s and 5 oz of Centininial... mashed @ 154. also got to use my B-day present "Monster Mill"... it came out of spec so i reset the gap to .035" and rocked out 80% efficiency.. pretty cool..

Back