Particles in final beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
My last several beers have had particles in the beer. They almost look like hop leafs but I am using pellets. I usually see them in about the first 10-12 beers, the beers are somewhat cloudy. These particles generally sink to the bottom of the glass so they are not affecting the beer. After about the first 10-12 beers out of the keg, the next 20 or so are spot on. Nice and clear with no particles. Then the last 10 or so beers are much stronger and with a more pronounced flavor profile. Here is what I have done with the last 3 or so batches:

Ferment in primary at 68-72 degrees for 1 week
Move to secondary, dry hop, at 68-72 degrees for 1 week
Move to keg, carbonate, at 68-72 degrees for two weeks
Move keg to kegarator, hook up to CO2, at 40 degrees for 1 week.

Any suggestions?

I leave the pellets in, and just don't transfer them when syphoning.

Most will fall to the bottom.

There may be a stray particle or 2 but they are actually very good for you.

Make some dark beers.;)

Leave as much trub behind as possible when transferring to primary. I use a fine mesh strainer over my funnel when running off the chilled wort. when transferring from primary to secondary or secondary to keg, be sure to let everything sit undisturbed for 15 minutes after you've gotten the carboys into position for transferring.

The cloudy thing is probably just chill haze. From what I've experienced, keeping the kegs chilled longer before tapping produces clearer beer. Mine are force carbed at 40F for two weeks before tapping.

Back