Odd blobs floating in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenTooth

Reaction score
Hello all,

I brewed Yuri's extract version of the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale a few weeks ago, it is currently finishing up its second week in the secondary. it tastes and smells great, the OG/FG were right on (from what beer calculus said they should be), and there were no unusual sanitation issues.

The catch is, there are some odd white stringy blobs floating in the beer above the trub. they seem to be stationary, but they will move up and down in the beer during the day (probably from the change in temperature of the beer). They started during the beginning of the clearing stage, and I thought they were just going to fall out into the trub, but no such luck.

Any ideas on what these may be/should i be worried? I've never had an infected beer (knock on wood), so I dont know what to look for really, but it smells and looks normal besides this. Links to pictures are posted below.

the ones on the side:

beer1.jpg

one at the top:

beer2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

I may be missing it in first pic (the bottom), but what I see is yeast/trub residue sticking to the glass.

But, that one in the second pic on the top looks like a jellyfish if you ask me.

I may be missing it in first pic (the bottom), but what I see is yeast/trub residue sticking to the glass.

But, that one in the second pic on the top looks like a jellyfish if you ask me.

thats one lucky jellyfish then! yeah from the picture it does look like it is residue on the glass, but it is definitely free-floating in the beer. all the ones on the bottom are also jellyfish-like as well

Back