yeast starter lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
If I cool at refrigerator temps and decant out of a starter...........wont I be decanting the less floc yeast that is giving good attenuation? Would it be better to put at 33 or so degrees and have all the yeast floc-----? I have 24 hours....thanks

Most ale yeast strains will all fall out pretty well within 24 hours, but for a lager yeast strain sometimes it takes 3-5 days.

When the spent wort above is totally clear, that's when it's fine to decant.

nice to know someone knows logical is not crazy......its at 34 till 2 morrow at noon...thanks

and then again......what if I dont have 3 days.....pitch a 3000ml starter into 12 gallons.......starter at 68 .....or decant......brew is bohemian pils

and then again......what if I dont have 3 days.....pitch a 3000ml starter into 12 gallons.......starter at 68 .....or decant......brew is bohemian pils

Well, you want to cool the starter anyway so you don't pitch warm yeast into cool wort. If you pitch 45 degree yeast into 50 degree wort, that would be ideal. Since you've got to chill the starter anyway to get to 45 degrees, might as well see if it clears so you can decant.

just wanted to say thanks for all the help-the starter cleared well and i was able to decant.....70 lbs of ice recirculated through my plate chiller and tap water early brought me to 45 degrees in about 25 minutes and i pitched the yeast at 48. I have to say that this is the first time my brew day went off without a hitch......and this time no checklist and everything was just right. a perfect brew and clean up less than 5 hours-a first for me. I also implemented a small decoction at mashout........the only issue may have been the mash was reading about 5.1ph but go a full conversion.....now the waiting begins..

thanks again contributers:mug: prost

Back