Wsm question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I have the smaller webber smokey mountian. I was wondering how to make the charcoal last for that. Will the minion method work best?

minion all the way. I have the larger model but for long smokes fill the charcoal ring almost all the way with a couple chunks of wood buried in it and then get a chimney starter about 1/3 full, 1/2 if it's really cold. Don't add to many lit coals to the pile or the temp will take off. It will cook for a long time. I've done about 16 hours on my 22.5" and the coals were just about gone but it made it with the minion method.

I use the minion method with great success. Sometimes I have to tap the legs to knock the ash off the hot coals for really long smokes.

I smoked a butt for 11 hours on Saturday and my charcoal was hot for at least 6-7 more hours with the minion method.

A lot of folks make their own auto temp controllers called heatermeter from a Raspberry Pi computer for not much more than $100. Other go Auber, Pitmasters iQ, Guru, Stoker, etc. I just fill up the ring and get 16+ hrs burn au natural. If you water in the pan you're using a lot of fuel to heat that water.

Back