Yeast from commercial breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrhamm

Reaction score
I've heard stories of people walking into commercial breweries and getting a growler/keg filled with yeast since a commercial size batch of beer yields a metric ****ton of yeast slurry... has anybody else heard of that kind of thing or know if any of the breweries in the greater boston area would do this for homebrewers?

I suppose bigger breweries have proprietary yeast strains and all that but still...

there's a semi-chain brew tavern here in our town that brews an india dark ale that I like. i kind of wondered aloud at my brew club if they thought the brewer would share the recipe and most were like, "yeah, just go talk to Joe and he'll hook you up, answer any questions you have"

he sure enough did. I didn't ask him straight up for the recipe, but he gave me the grain bill and what hops they used for what. he answered my questions and before I left told me that if I gave him enough lead time, he would hook me up with as much yeast as I could carry. (mental picture of me hauling big gob of slurry under each arm, trying to unlock the car door)

lesson learned: doesn't hurt to ask, the worst that could happen is they say "no"

Back