Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 73 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 73 F
add an additional 40 oz of organic raspberries to the secondary. make sure the raspberries dont have sucrose added to them. I keep this beer on tap at all times! i've never aged it because i drink it too damn fast!!:tank:

:EDIT!: Sorry about the lack of info on this beer previously. It was my first recipe that I had posted on this site. I hope this clears anything up for anybody out there.

This beer has a VERY distinct raspberry flavor. It will hide all kinds of things if you're a noob. It almost tastes like a Lambic with lots more body. :mug:

6 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 87.25 %
12.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.74 %
2.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (25 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (7 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
40.00 oz Raspbery Fruit (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc

Nottingham
OG 1.054
FG 1.012
IBU/SG ratio is .381

okay... we know it's extract and we know that you add 40 oz organic raspberries to the secondary... but other than that, do you think you could tell us what's in it? Like, malts and extracts and hops and stuff?

Haha, yeah, this doesn't really tell us anything other than you have a recipe for this apparently, delicious beer. SHARE MAN!

I am going to PM the author to elaberate on the raspberry addition on this, but plan on using either
raspberry%20blen.jpg

or whole berries

yeah, this thing is almost like a lambic with it's fruit content. It's a total panty dropper. Pretty damn tasty for a summer brew.

Definitely don't use raspberry juice. Go to your grocery store in the frozen fruit area and pick up 40 oz of raspberries and just thaw and throw in the fermenter. Read the ingredients label to see if there is any crap in there that you dont want. It's a little expensive but it's great. I never sanitze them. I just thaw and toss them in. THey'll float for a while and might drop out of suspension. They'll mostly turn white after the yeasties have had their way with them.

thanks for the info! I just got home from buying everything but the berries. What do 40oz of frozen rasberries cost? I imagine they are by the pie crusts.

reread your recipe.... I only bought 7.5lb of LME (7.5lb LME = 6lb DME) since I missed the 8oz after the 6.. rather than make another trip to the LHBS, I am going to make up the difference with 8oz of Clover honey. I doubt that will destroy anything...

The honey will dry it out and leave you with a less sweet beer. You might try that but I'd probably just leave it out and brew a slightly weaker beer. The raspberries cost a little bit of money. I imagine you'll find a sale on them at your local grocery since it's summer and they're in season. You could go to a farmers market and grab fresh ones. Whatever you do I would only add whole fruit to this beer. The juice or extract thing is no good for this one. I have used both red raspberries and black raspberries. Both work great. It's hard to tell the difference to tell you the truth.

oh man, that's what it's supposed to look like!!!! OH YEAH!!!! The color will drop out and those beauties will be like heaven.

Taste it regularly to see how much raspberry you want. It can get pretty intense. I like it intense though! :D

I am leaving them sit in there for 7 days, as the recipe calls for.... Since you say it is almost lambic, I am looking forward to as much raspberry flavor as those guys will give me.
I love Lindemans - Framboise

This should be fully carbed in the keg in another week... I think I am going to have to goto the LHBS and build another 5' picnic line, because all of my other kegs have at least 2 more galons in them....

The 1oz taste i took seemed pretty good. Tho i find that i cannot judge a homebrew when it is green, flat and warm....

I was picking a raspberry seed or two out of every 5th pint for the next two brews because they hide in the picnic line. That's how I learned how to clean picnic taps! :D

this turned out very good! Good Raspberry taste, it almost completley masks the Hops flavor.

I will surley be making this again! Awesome summer beer.

I believe that raspberry extract is pretty close to the real thing (unlike most extracts). However, I wouldn't do it. I've made a blueberry extract beer and was very disappointed.

So could someone write that recipe down, and when you add stuff during the boil. So someone who is half retarded like me can follow it? I have a good friend that has been dying to try a raspberry wheat. Would love to try it.

Thanks

Has anyone tried using Raspberry extract? I'm curious what effect this will have on the final product.

In my experience, raspberry extract tends to impart a medicinal flavor. I've got a similar recipe in the secondary right now--mine's a witbier. Added raspberry puree with a little extra sugar to the boil, then added 46 oz of frozen raspberries when transferring to secondary.

The amount I tested out of my hydrometer when transferring to the secondary was very, very good. And I'm really excited about how it's going to taste when I bottle/keg it in a week or so.

So could someone write that recipe down, and when you add stuff during the boil. So someone who is half retarded like me can follow it? I have a good friend that has been dying to try a raspberry wheat. Would love to try it.

Thanks

Well, technically this isn't a raspberry wheat. It's more like a Raspberry Brown. :D

Either way here you go:
Take all of the grains (crushed from your LHBS) and put them in a muslin sack and soak them in 170F water for about 30 minutes. Pull them out.
Bring to boil. Add Light Dry Extract and 1 oz of Northern Brewer, boil for 60 minutes.
With 25 minutes left add .5 oz of Cascade.
With 7 minutes left add .5 oz of Cascade.
In the secondary add all of the Raspberry puree (or whole raspberries).

Hey sounds awesome. Thanks a ton for the info. I will let you know how it turns out.

correction in Bold
my comments in Italics

Take all of the grains (crushed from your LHBS) and put them in a muslin sack and soak them in 1 galon 170F water for about 30 minutes. Pull them out, and pour 1 galon 170deg water through them.
Bring to boil. Add Light Dry Extract and 1 oz of Northern Brewer, boil for 60 minutes.
With 25 minutes left add .5 oz of Cascade.
With 7 minutes left add .5 oz of Cascade.
In the secondary add all of the Raspberry puree.
I used whole raspberries in secondary that were frozen overnight before adding (to rupture cell walls)

10 days primary @ ~70deg

eschatz, when you say it's almost like a lambic, does that mean it's as sour as a "real" lambic?

I have a good friend that has been dying to try a raspberry wheat. s
Try Hoegaarden Rosé. Not very good though, it had some off flavors that I didn't like. Hope they're not present in this beer though, might brew it some time.

I have been drinking this for about a month now. and it seems to be better (per my palate) with age

Since the first pint, it has gotten clearer (I keg) and the raspberry flavor has mellowed out and is less sour. So if you like it sour, drink it up, if you want less sourness, age it..

Undoubtedly BJCP 20A... FRUIT BEER!!!!!!! :D

When entering a Fruit Beer, you must specify the base beer, I found the base beer to be clocest to an American Brown Ale.

I'll definitely be trying this recipe in a little while. Turns out I love fruit beers, so this sounds like it'll be a hit with my taste buds.

For bottling purposes are you just using a standard 3/4 cup priming sugar? I brewed a batch of this today and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

BJCP scored average of 40! Score sheets ranged from 39 to 41. I can only increase my praise for this recipe. I had no temp control por starter, which I will change next time, and ferment at 68 instead of 75

My LHBS told me to dump the cascade and roasted barley from the recipe. It's only my second brew so I listened to them...

Is this gonna taste way off now? The guy at the LHBS said the extra hops and roasted barley would really take away from the raspberry flavor.

BJCP scored average of 40! Score sheets ranged from 39 to 41. I can only increase my praise for this recipe. I had no temp control por starter, which I will change next time, and ferment at 68 instead of 75

That's so awesome! I've never sent it in actually. Congrats on your score Arkador!! :mug:

That's so awesome! I've never sent it in actually. Congrats on your score Arkador!! :mug:

The only thing they recomended to improve the score was better carbonation (I filled my entry with my BMBG) . I am also going to pitch a starter and use temp control (which i did not with this batch) and make this one again for the Bluebonet competition next spring.

I had not had any in quite a while, and tried to pull a pint tonight, apperently there were only about 2 oz left in the keg for the last 4 weeks i was leaving the keg alone.
For bottling purposes are you just using a standard 3/4 cup priming sugar? I brewed a batch of this today and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I would bottle prime this with 7oz of corn sugar, you want at least 3-3.25 volumes of carbonation. The carbonation definatley affects the mouthfeel, aroma, and taste.

eschatz, you have said more than once that you don't recommend using fruit juice but you have never said why.

i'm racking this to a secondary with the raspberries tomorrow.. what would you think about racking to a 3rd stage for a week or two for clarity purposes? Also for cost reasons I went with frozen raspberries.. should I pasteurize these?

Eshatz and I have both racked to secondary without pasturizing the fruit without any issues or infection. He used frozen berries, and i used fresh. They will be added to a 6% ABV base beer, so that is a pretty hostile envirnment for any contaminates that may be there.

if you want to rack it to a bright tank to immprove clarity, you certainly can, it would be easier to just coldcrash your secondary to 35deg overnight. i kegged mine, and let it sit in keg for almost a month and came away with very clear beer.

Back