Beersmith settings for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm brewing tomorrow my first 10 gallon batch in my new keggle complete with diptube and ball valve! Pretty excited to give it a whirl. I had my old 8 gallon brewpot pretty dialed in for 5 gallon batches and I'm a little nervous. Along with my new keggle I also got a new burner. The burner is the Bayou SQ14. Can anyone that has this setup possibly let me know what boiloff rate and amount lost to trub they setup in beersmith? Just to go off of for my first time with the new keggle/burner? I'd really appreciate it.
Cheers!
Scott

I am not sure what my burner is but with my keggle I use about a 17% boiloff rate in beersmith. It says the option is 5-15 but you can set it to whatever you want.

I usually boil off 2 gallons in about 1.5 hours - that's without covering it BTW.

I have mine set at 16% and seem to boil off more.
My typical 60 min boil is to collect 6.8 gal and I'm lucky to get 5 gal into the carboy(even though I set 5.25 as my collected wort amount). I set trub at 1/2 gal.

I will probably up my boil-off %.

I lose about 1.4 gallons per hour with my keggle using a similar burner. Trub loss is about 1/2 gallon as well depending on the amount of hops in the recipe.

At least you're not doing what I did, and leaving it at the default value of 9%. On my last batch I wound up with like 4 gallons. I've cranked it up to 15% now just as a wild guess, but I'm very happy to see other people's numbers so I have an even better starting point.

Back