Why do BMC "craft" brews taste bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that occasionally hosts tasting parties where we do blind tasting of 10-20 different commercial beers of a given style. We've done IPA, Pale Ales, etc. When there is a BMC variant of the style, it usually gets worked into the mix. We do tasting by numbers, write out our tasting notes, and then vote for our 3 favorites.

Without fail, the BMC variant ends up being the bottom of the pack every time on everyone's list. It's always unanimous and not just the beer snobs in the group. My wife, who until recently actually preferred BMC stuff, still ranked their 'craft' beers in last place among the choices.

So, I'm starting to wonder if there's some kind of reason behind this. Is it due to the scale of the operation? Cost-cutting? Something inherent in the brewing process?

One would think that they would have done extensive test marketing before launching the product. Maybe they figured customer loyalty would be enough? e.g. The customer regularly buys Bud, so maybe if they were feeling adventurous they'd just pick up American Ale, retch, and then go back to good ol' regular Bud?

i don't think they are marketing to the hard core craft brew folk. they are trying to get the bud light/bud diesel drinker to try it on a whim, like it, as it has a bit more flavor, and buy that as their standard beer. since it costs more with not much more input cost, the company makes more money.

I think these beers often get stuck in between two camps. They try to make them "accessible" to BMC drinkers, who still find them weird compared with Bud, Miller and Coors. The "snobs" don't like them because they often do taste like bowdlerized versions of the real thing.

That being said, I think Blue Moon sells well, as do a few of the others. Someone likes them.

BMC "craft" brews taste bad because they're not craft brews. They're faux versions designed to be as bland and middle of the road as possible for the chosen style, which the marketing folk believe will appeal to that section of their customer base who may want to try one of these "craft" beers they've heard about. BMC have seen the success of the craft market and want a slice of the pie, but without going to the trouble of making the real product. Anybody who knows what craft beer really tastes like won't be fooled (as you found out), but many others who are just tempted to try something different from YellowFizz Lite may not realize they are being duped.

BMC "craft" brews taste bad because they're not craft brews. They're faux versions designed to be as bland and middle of the road as possible for the chosen style, which the marketing folk believe will appeal to that section of their customer base who may want to try one of these "craft" beers they've heard about. BMC have seen the success of the craft market and want a slice of the pie, but without going to the trouble of making the real product. Anybody who knows what craft beer really tastes like won't be fooled (as you found out), but many others who are just tempted to try something different from YellowFizz Lite may not realize they are being duped.

Personally, I have a problem with the term "Craft brew"

The proper term is "Beer"

If BMC is turning a slight curve toward making better beer, then no matter how small that curve is, then I support it.

It's a fair point, but I think there's a distinction to be made between beer that's brewed by people who genuinely love their product and take pride in crafting it (to pick a word) to be as good as possible, compared to the large corporations who make brewing decisions based primarily on finance/marketing considerations. BMC no doubt employ some passionate brewers, but they're not the decision makers. "Craft" doesn't seem to me like a bad single-word/convenient description of what differentiates the small brewers from the corporations.

If BMC is turning a slight curve toward making better beer, then no matter how small that curve is, then I support it.

Yeah - I was pleasantly surprised to see the Michelob adverts for their "craft" beers all over the NYC subway a few months ago. I thought then that anything that makes people aware of styles like Marzen, Porter or Dunkel Weiss can only be good. But I'm still not convinced by the sincerity of the beers, and I've no plans to buy any. If the craft beer market tanked tomorrow I suspect real "craft" brewers would still be making their beer and trying to sell it, but Michelob's line would vanish in an instant.

I have to agree, to an extent.

Just this past Saturday I went home for my sister's graduation and was visiting with the family when the conversation turned to my homebrewing, which then turned to beers they like.

A lot of them liked beer that I loved but there's always the bulk of the group who ask about Blue Moon, Michelob's "craft brews'', etc. I think its a good thing, but when someone says blue moon, I usually end up giving my schpiel about Coors and how Hoegaarden is the better choice.

This can also be said about the other brands attempts at real beer...

BMC do not get people to drink their products by making the best. They do it by really good marketing. The fact that their beers don't taste great should not be a surprise. The big problem is that when people go out on a limb and try these "new styles", they are getting the bottom of the barrel, watered down swill that BMC calls beer and make decisions about non-NAIL beers based on bad brew.

BMC wants to sell a lot of beer, so they make what will be least offensive to everyone.

Many craft beers are targeting a specific audience, so they are often very offensive to many (Think IIPA or RIS). Also there are plenty of terrible craft beers, most just don't have the marketing or distribution power to make it to you.

I have to agree, to an extent.

Just this past Saturday I went home for my sister's graduation and was visiting with the family when the conversation turned to my homebrewing, which then turned to beers they like.

A lot of them liked beer that I loved but there's always the bulk of the group who ask about Blue Moon, Michelob's "craft brews'', etc. I think its a good thing, but when someone says blue moon, I usually end up giving my schpiel about Coors and how Hoegaarden is the better choice.

This can also be said about the other brands attempts at real beer...

Just an FYI, Hoegaarden is part of the InBev family and thus part of BMC.

Along with what's been mentioned above, given a limited amount of shelf/cooler space available in stores, BMC, by selling their "craft brew" lines, also eliminates the ability of some retailers to sell other smaller operation breweries. BMC gets more shelf space and the little guy gets squeezed.

OK, Here is the truth..... We (Homebrewers) scare the hell outta the bmc companies. Michelobe(Anheisre) is terrified of us. We make real beer and people like it. I love my dunkel, and so do alot of my BMc freinds. They all want it. I must make a confession though, i like the bud american ale.... I find it tolerable.. I wont buy it if SNPA is avaliable or there is a suitable beer avaliable but it is tolerable. They want the market we have but cant pony up the money and make the beer we do. I would rather drink my worst beer at .76c a beer than their best a ,35c a beer. does that make sense?
Home brew is the future(and past) of beer drinkers.

I think the Michelob series is the best mass produced attempt at ales....they're more flavorful then the attempts from standard BMC. I don't think BMC is quite shaking in their boots with craft brewing so much as marketplace. Overall beer sales have been steadily going down, as people want more liquor and wine. Add to that in the recent years, with more small fish craft brewers coming out....the craft brewing industry has been taking a small percentage out of BMC's shrinking sales. The growth of their regular products have maxed out, so BMC is looking at ways to stay top dog (and they're certainly in a position to stay that way as they still are the majority of beer sales). As a homebrewer and connoisseur, I haven't tasted anything from BMC that I'd want to have as a mainstay. We'll see if Budweiser does see the need for really analyzing and creating craft beers....they have the money and resources; and they would do it if there is a good enough need.

The odd thing for me is that if BMC wanted to make a kick-ass IPA, for example, you know that they could do it. These guys know how to brew - know the mechanics of the process. We might not like what they brew but you can't deny their ability to brew it. Which makes you wonder why they put out stuff like that michelob variety pack - they are bland, even the porter.

I got no problem with any of these beers. Well maybe the wheat stuff.
Sounds like mostly beer snobbyness.

I agree with not using the term craft brew. Anyone can make beer right? I can cook myself a decent dinner but by no means would say that I am a chef. I can make good beer but in no way would consider myself a brewer.

The reason they don't taste good is because you expect them to not taste good.

The reason your non-snob friends think it doesn't taste good, is because you were sitting there mocking it right before they tasted it.

I would challenge to start doing your tastings blind.

I'm going to set up a blind tasting session and see what comes out of it. I got two 12-pack mixes at the weekend - Flying Dog brewery and Boulder City brewing co.

Apart from one or two of those beers, they were nothing special. It would be interesting to see them go head-to-head with michelob (with the same style, if you can find it). There's a lot of beer snobbiness around same as there is with wine, there's plenty of people can't really tell the difference.

I won't ever criticize BMC for what they do. They are all success stories. It's not like they are shoving the beer down people's throats. There is plenty of variety out there but people want that stuff and buy it by the 30 pack gladly. They are also smart for providing quasi-craft brews which are really just adjunct laden, dumbed down version of the real styles. The reason it works is because when the typical BMC'er just got their paycheck and wants to impress the father in law, he's gonna order a beer off the beaten path. That beer is either going to be SABL or of the BMC alternatives. It's probably going to be Blue Moon because it sounds really cool and trendy and doesn't cause bitter beer face. Then again, BM is a little too girly... make that a Bud Ale.

The BMCs are big corporations; they are what they are. As far as their likely effects on craft/micro brewing, I'lll just say that I won't buy their products. Not at any bargain price. I suppose a lot of their craft brews use crown caps now, so if somebody gave me some, I'd use the bottles. Some of the Michelob bottles look pretty cool.
But not a nickel will I spend. My spending is often the only weapon I have against such entities, and it ain't much, but I'll use it. I won't have a Pepsico product in the house, because they support Handgun Control, Inc. Etcetera.

The reason they don't taste good is because you expect them to not taste good.

The reason your non-snob friends think it doesn't taste good, is because you were sitting there mocking it right before they tasted it.

I would challenge to start doing your tastings blind.

Perhaps you neglected to read my post. We did in fact do blind tastings, and they still all ranked last. It was surprising to me that they all ranked so poorly across the board. When we did a tasting of several commercial pale ales, for example, every single person ranked #11 (which turned out to be Bud's American Ale) dead last on their list. Also, my wife is about as far from being a beer snob as one can get.

Perhaps you neglected to read my post. We did in fact do blind tastings, and they still all ranked last. It was surprising to me that they all ranked so poorly across the board. When we did a tasting of several commercial pale ales, for example, every single person ranked #11 (which turned out to be Bud's American Ale) dead last on their list. Also, my wife is about as far from being a beer snob as one can get.

Okay, controlled.

I am guessing you were all sitting around talking while you scored and one of the people present and talking was the one who prepared the samples. AmIright?

That is what we call, not blind.

Okay, controlled.

I am guessing you were all sitting around talking while you scored and one of the people present and talking was the one who prepared the samples. AmIright?

I don't think he ever said it was a professional judging panel! Jeez! Let the guy make his observations!

Okay, controlled.

No, that's a single blind. What you're referring to is a double blind.

Probably because they have scientists making their beer, not brewers...:D

Be careful. There are a lot of scientist posting around here...

Okay, controlled.

No matter how controlled you have a blind taste test....you also have to factor your sample base. Perhaps the people doing the tasting are all familiar with craft beer.....perhaps their palate naturally leans towards ales. That doesn't mean that if you had 10 out of 10 people in the group rate BMC dead last that BMC makes terrible beer. It just means they're not the target demographic of BMC. In fact, since BMC has way more annual sales then craft beer, you could say that BMC is doing the best at having higher profit margins and R&D for the preferences of the general public. How much someone likes one beer over the other is just their preferences....so I don't look down at someone who prefers BMC just as I don't look down at someone who doesn't like it. I like Coke over Pepsi....but those people who like Pepsi over Coke still like colas.

Okay, controlled.

Again, you're wrong. The person handing out the samples didn't score. We all did our own scoring and didn't talk about scores or even our impressions until after each flight was scored.

Stop making wild assumptions, it will save us all time.

EDIT:
So far as the tasting panel, there are 8 of us. Two of us are into craft beers, one was my friend's wife who generally sticks to wits, one was my wife who also likes wits but who drinks mostly BMC, and the other four are in the "beer is beer" category who will drink whatever is in front of them, but tend to buy BMC because it's cheaper.

who poured budlightlime in your cereal?

that's funny right there!

I'd love to judge a blind test with a bunch of different macro, micro, and homebrewed APA's - I think it would be pretty interesting, because I've had my share of all 3 types that I say: "man, that's a good beer." I've also had my share of all 3 types and say: "ouch, what were they thinking?"

Blanket statements like "all macro 'craft' beers are bad" are just as wrong as saying "all homebrew is awesome."

I think in order to say all mass produced "craft" beers are consistently worse than their true craft counterparts, it would be necessary to do a taste test and record results based on brewery location, date brewed, storage conditions, etc... A mass produced "craft" beer might be three or 4 months old and brewed in St. Louis, where as a comparison beer might be only a month old and brewed more locally. The macro might have spent time in transit, might be handled differently, stored differently, etc...

Not saying the OP is wrong by any means, with my personal feelings on BMC beers I would tend to agree, but their might be other factors affecting the end result as well.

the other four are in the "beer is beer" category who will drink whatever is in front of them, but tend to buy BMC because it's cheaper.

:off: I don't know about everywhere else, but in my home town, 18-packs up BMC are up $3-4 dollars in price the last 2 years. If that trend keeps up, maybe the "craft" market does have a chance. Even though I still drink a regular dose of bud light, if I can get a 6er of Stone IPA for $9, and it's costing $15.99 for 18 BLC's (my term for "bud light in a can"), I'm leaning for two 6ers of stones.

Well, then again, now that my brew set up is finally up and running (1st batch with my new equipment tonight), I'm gonna ween myself off commercial as much as possible.

now, back to your regularily scheduled arguement about blind tests...

:off:

No, that's a single blind. What you're referring to is a double blind.

No, the situation I described is not single blind.

In a single blind experiment, the participants have no information that could bias the result.

In the situation I described, all participants are fed information by the experimenter who is himself a participant.

Getting back to the OP
The reason they don't taste good to "us", the homebrewers and beer geeks is that they are not geared to our tastes
Anheuser-Busch to launch Bud Light Golden Wheat this year | Lager Heads | STLtoday

"The beer’s marketing themes are still being nailed down. But Levy said the target audience will be drinkers between the ages of 25 and 44 - including “loyalists” who lean towards A-B’s beer, as well as “trendsetters” who like to be on the leading edge of new beverages.

The trick will be to attract new fans without alienating Bud Light’s core consumers - folks aged 21-27.

Bud Light Golden Wheat will be positioned as a flavorful alternative, with the “drinkability” that folks expect from Bud Light, Levy said. He was careful to insist that this will NOT be a craft beer."

They don't want to kill their core brand so they just keep bringing out new versions of the Same Old ****

In order to get it to double blind, the someone would have to pour all the samples into identical pitchers labelled only with the sample number prior to any of the participants arriving. That person could not be present during tasting.

:off: I don't know about everywhere else, but in my home town, 18-packs up BMC are up $3-4 dollars in price the last 2 years. If that trend keeps up, maybe the "craft" market does have a chance. Even though I still drink a regular dose of bud light, if I can get a 6er of Stone IPA for $9, and it's costing $15.99 for 18 BLC's (my term for "bud light in a can"), I'm leaning for two 6ers of stones.

Well, then again, now that my brew set up is finally up and running (1st batch with my new equipment tonight), I'm gonna ween myself off commercial as much as possible.

now, back to your regularily scheduled arguement about blind tests...

:off:

The cost factor is huge. A 30 pack of High Life has been going on my shopping list every two weeks for years. If money was no object, it wouldn't be my choice. However, for $14.49 plus tax it looks like the best value in the beer aisle.

I'll treat myself occasionally, but drinking more interesting beers is something I look at as a treat, not a baseline.

That being said, there's still no better beer than free beer.

Back