Converting A Recipe To All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
Hey all...

The jump to AG has been a fantastic experience. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything by taking the plunge.

Well, except for one recipe that I used to make. I'm hoping a kind soul can take a minute and convert it to AG for me. It's one of my faves and I'm getting low on my supply!

2 Cans LME
1# Light DME
.5# English Crystal Malt
.5# Carapalis (Dextrine) malt grain
.25# Chocolate Malt Grain
1# Belgian Candy Sugar, Dark
1 oz. Styrian Golding hop pellets
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Thanks for the help!

I am going to assume that a "can" of LME is 3.3 lbs and that your all grain efficiency is 75%.

These two items are the only things that need to be replaced:
2 Cans LME
1# Light DME

And you would swap in 11 lbs of 2-row instead. So, new recipe:

11# 2-row
.5# English Crystal Malt
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Hey all...

The jump to AG has been a fantastic experience. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything by taking the plunge.

Well, except for one recipe that I used to make. I'm hoping a kind soul can take a minute and convert it to AG for me. It's one of my faves and I'm getting low on my supply!

2 Cans LME
1# Light DME
.5# English Crystal Malt
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Thanks for the help!

Since extract recipes are usually conversions of existing all grain recipes or attempts to replicate commercial beers, IMO you will get better results if you start at the beginning rather than try to make a copy of a copy. However, for simplicity's sake what you will need to do is calculate how much pale malt you need with your system's efficiency to equal the OG of the LME and DME listed. Then just use the same specialty malts and hops to complete the recipe. :mug:

Since extract recipes are usually conversions of existing all grain recipes or attempts to replicate commercial beers

I think this is a false assumption. When I started making my own recipes, they were extract based , but they were not attempts to replicate an AG brew or attempts to clone commercial brews.

I had to go through the same process as the OP when I switched to AG and convert all of my recipes.

There are a lot of extract brewers out there with a lot of recipes that they created.

I think this is a false assumption. When I started making my own recipes, they were extract based , but they were not attempts to replicate an AG brew or attempts to clone commercial brews.

I had to go through the same process as the OP when I switched to AG and convert all of my recipes.

There are a lot of extract brewers out there with a lot of recipes that they created.

Perhaps, but I still think that the best results for the beer will be obtain by formulating an all-grain recipe from scratch. For an original extract recipe substituting the appropriate amount of grain for the malt extract or using a recipe calculator to hit the beer's OG and color is a better way, IMO. YMMV.

Since extract recipes are usually conversions of existing all grain recipes or attempts to replicate commercial beers, IMO you will get better results if you start at the beginning rather than try to make a copy of a copy.

Actually the recipe is not a clone of anything. It's from an extract kit the LHBS has in stock. I've asked several employees as well as the owner what it's a clone of and all have stated that it was a recipe they developed in house and is not based on any existing beer.

Actually the recipe is not a clone of anything. It's from an extract kit the LHBS has in stock. I've asked several employees as well as the owner what it's a clone of and all have stated that it was a recipe they developed in house and is not based on any existing beer.

If your LHBS developed the recipe they should have no problem putting together an all-grain version for you.

Back