Pot and burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Bayou KAB4 or KAB6 for 5 gallon batches. I am looking at getting a 10 gallon pot for BIAB and either one of these burners. Granted I will need to put the burner on blocks to get it high enough to directly empty into fermenter after boiling. Could go with bayou sp50 too but like the 4 times as much btu out of the KAB units. Looking at the homebrewstuff 10 gallon kettle with sight glass and thermometer. Burner and pot will also be used to finish my maple syrup before filtering and bottling.

You DO NOT want a pot with a built in thermometer. The thermowell sticks out right where the BIAB bag sits, and you'll accidentally rip the bag. Skip any pot with a thermometer/thermowell if you are doing BIAB!! Get a cheap digital thermometer and take your readings from the surface of the wort. Digital thermometers are typically much more accurate. Here's the one I have, which was $19.00 shipped:

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/14351079103058141453?q=CDN%20DTQ450X&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.aWc&biw=1024&bih=580&wrapid=tlif135975562359910&safe=on&sa=X&ei=ejkMUcvkFMT4yQGvpICoBg&ved=0CEoQxBUwAA#scoring:tp

I do BIAB, and have the Bayou Classic 44QT (11 gallons) with the optional perferated basket. The perferated basket is PRICELESS when it comes to pulling out the bag and letting it drip over another pot or bucket.

The company that makes these pots is called Barbour International. IF you find the pot under the manufacturer's name, they are about 10% cheaper, and the exact same thing. I got mine with the basket for $92 shipped.

These don't come with a ball valve, but I drilled my own weldless valve and added a dip tube, all from Bargain Fittings. I'm not particularly handy with a drill, and found drilling the proper hole very easy...took me about 15 minutes. The weldless fitting, 2 piece ball valve, and dip tube, along with a step bit for the drill, ran me about $32.00 + shipping (about $38 total).

As far as burners, you are on the right track. The KAB4 is the cheapest model that has the Banjo Burner, which is the same oriface found in the Blichmann burner, and is pretty much the most efficient oriface out there for brewing. Ignore the BTU ratings, most of those guys that put out 100,000+ BTUs heat more air than wort. The Banjo Burner in the KAB4 is about as efficient as it gets for propane. If you are trying to keep it cheap, go with the KAB4. If you have some more $$$ to spend here, you can upgrade to a better housing, but stick with that Banjo Burner oriface. Bayou Classic makes about 12 housing options with that same oriface, then there's always the Blichmann burner :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. May buy the pot, burner, and then get a valve, and put a thermometer in about 2-2.5" off the bottom and put a sight glass in too.

Latest posts

Back