Saison yeast pitching and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I know that Saison's generally appreciate finishing at higher temps. But could the yeast be fermented at higher temps for the entire duration?

When pitching the yeast, would it be advisable to pitch in water that is warmer as well and keep at say 82-85* for the entire fermentation?

Or, should I pitch at ale temp, let ferment for a few weeks at say 70* and then ramp the temp up to the 80s for another few weeks?

I like to pitch Saisons at low temp (70-75) and keep it there for a day then just let it go wherever it wants to warmer than that. I think that will give you some of the nice Belgian esters, but won't be over the top.

I blend a saison and belgian high gravity and ferment at 79-80 for the whole time. I don't get any on the hot alcohol or off flavors associated with having a temp too high in the begenning.

I usually pitch low (mid 60's) and then let it sit at about 68 ambient temp and let the yeast do what it wants. After about a week and a half I start raising the temp up to get my Sasions to finish low.

I usually pitch low (mid 60's) and then let it sit at about 68 ambient temp and let the yeast do what it wants. After about a week and a half I start raising the temp up to get my Sasions to finish low.

This is very similar to what I do as well, especially with the 3711. I really like the flavors that I get at these "lower" temps.

I have a split 6g batch going right now with 3725 and WLP670 and plan to do the same thing. I will probably not raise the WLP670 up as high as the 3725 though.

-Josh

It really depends on your yeast strain. 3711 goes off like a champ around 73 degrees while 3724 wants it warm and swampy.

Yeah, I second swampy for 3724. 3787 works well at 78 also. (I know 3787 is the belgian high gravity and we're talking about saisons but I wanted to clarify)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking for an answer to this question, saison pitching temp, and I just made a second batch of our lemongrass saison and pitched it at 25ºC (79ºF). I don't temp control the tank so in a few days it'll get over 33ºC (91ºF). I don't touch it until it goes to the brite tank. I like 3724, however, I'm using Lallemand Belle Saison. The saison starts at 11-12 and finishes around 0.5.

Here's the basic recipe:

12HL finished volume, 11 Brix.

150 kg Wyermann Vienna
25 kg Briess US White Wheat
10 kg Flaked Oats
5 kg Briess Caramel 60

FWH:
Columbus - 200g, 14.5AA
Cascade - 100g, 7.5 AA

60 min:
Columbus - 100g, 14.5AA
Cascade - 100g, 7.5 AA

30 min:
100 g Cascade

15 min:
100 g Cascade

10 min:
100 g Cascade

5 min:
100 g Cascade

FO:
100 g Cascade
500 g Coriander (milled)
500 g Fresh cut Lemongrass (in a hopsack)

Pitch 90g / hL of Lallemand Belle Saison @ 25ºC
Ferment 17 days, no temp control
Bottle condition to 3 volumes for six weeks

Back