Buying grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
I've looked around a bit and haven't found anything on this. I'm interested in getting some cabernet franc grapes and was wondering how it works in the winemaking world... can you normally get grapes or is that tough to come by? Should I ask an estate winery if they can spare a few pounds?

The wine world is a bit foreign to me (other than drinking commercial versions) so I figured I'd ask here :)

Cab franc is normally considered a blending grape, not sure how prevalent it is there. It's really dependent on your local conditions. I found someone here that let me choose my rows, take brix readings and do the pH/brix ratio and then chose when to pick them myself. I did 1 1/2 tons of fruit that way a couple years ago. If you REALLY want the experience, that's the way to go. Otherwise, I'd contact local vineyards (not necessarily winerys) to see if you can pre-contract for some fruit.

Wow, that's quite the commitment!

I'm from near the NY Finger Lakes region so Cab Franc is a pretty standard wine at most of the wineries around there (that and Riesling which is much drier than just about anywhere else I've found it in the world). It's by far my fav red wine and I wish it could grow in more places because it's fantastic on its own. I'll look into contacting some vineyards... I mean, I only want a few pounds, definitely not more than a dozen, lol.

Thanks for the advice :mug:

Back