Anybody refill their 5 or 10# tanks from a larger tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullF-16

Reaction score
Well, after bottling my first batch. Thats it. Today i called keg connection and ordered a 3 keg frig kit with a dual regulator for future expansion. I also upgraded to a 10 lb CO2 cylinder. Bought a 7.0cf GE chest freezer from SamsClub that i will collar this weekend. I have a very large cylinder 50# that i used to use to refill my sons and friends paintball tanks. Are the homebrew co2 cylinders equipped with pin valves? If not, does anyone refill thier cylinders from a larger. This would negate the hassle of going to the local welding supply shop. Most only accept trade ins anyway.

Thanks for helping a newb out

I would think you would be fine as long as you knew how much the tank could hold. I don't know much about the capacity of them but as long as the psi is not exceeded you should be fine.

The "homebrew" CO2 tanks have the same connection, just no pin, instead you use the valve on the top to open/close the cylinder. If you have a filling station already, you're probably all set (though I don't know for sure if the one you have will work). Does it have a siphon in the 50# tank? (So that liquid CO2 is transferred) When they say 5# CO2, they mean it, weigh the tank before filling, and weigh it after. You should be able to put 5# of CO2 in it.

yes, it has a dip tube. i will try the filling station i have and just open the valve. Will also fill it while on a scale so as not to overfill it. hope it works.

Thanks

Back