Fish tank air pump aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibrewdou

Reaction score
`. does anyone use a fish tank air pump to aerate their wort? and how are the results, how long for a 5gal batch etc. cost?

`. does anyone use a fish tank air pump to aerate their wort? and how are the results, how long for a 5gal batch etc. cost?

I personally do not use an aquarium pump, but I know lots of guys do.. The recommended time to use it in your wort is about 20 minutes.. Cost you around 15 to 20$ for a decent pump.. Personally, I just use a brewing spoon and stir the s**t out of my wort until the foam starts to creep up the neck of the fermenter.. At least 5 minutes.. Never failed me yet... I just could never see the extra expense.. I figured as long as I got arms, I can stir my wort and probably do a better job than an airpump....

I usually do an hour. You will need a sterile filter and a deep tank aquarium pump - the later so it has enough pressure to bubble up from the bottom of a 5g batch. Another trick I use is to thread the sanitized air hose through my sanitized racking cane to put the air at the bottom of the fermentor. I do not use an air stone as I'm not confident it can be sanitized.

GT

Back