My first REAL infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
7 weeks ago I bottled a brown ale, I started drinking it at 17 days of bottled(I dry hopped it so I wanted to drink it fresh)... and between week 4 and 6 the beer started gushing, and it became progressively sour... now every week after that it becomes more and more sour and it gushes every time harder than before... Ughhh now I am scared, I haven't change my cleaning and sanitizing methods and I have a 3 weeks old IPA bottled and a 1 week old stout too...

The IPA shows no signs of infection, but some stout bottles have nasty bubbles.... maybe its just mini kraussen but I am very paranoid about it, I don't want to lose 2 batches.

What do you think? should I try to drink the stout as young as possible? or let it age as I'd normally do and hope for the best? also should I change all the tubes and other plastic things of my bottling equipment?

I would definitely change out any tubes - that should be a cheap and easy. Give everything a good washing, hot rinse and sanitizing before your next brew. As far as the stout you won't know until you try it, then wait a week and try another one. If you don't notice a difference over three to four weeks you're probably fine to age it. My two cents.

Back