Adjust mill settings for choc rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
Ya, the wheat looks a lot smaller than the grains I usually use too. Hmm, maybe I'll crush them together at a smaller gap and then I'll crush the rest at the original gap. Thanks!

Good for you ! Some people prefer a coarser crush and if set too wide,
the rye will pass on through without being touched.

Good for him? Geez, the attitudes around here lately.

@hope2perc - It solely depends on your mill setting. If you get a coarse setting when milling barley then yes, you will want a tighter setting for wheat or rye. If you get a good fine crush with barley then there is no need to set the mill gap.

I have a Barley Crusher mill and left it at the factory setting which is 0.39. I crush my barley, wheat, etc through it and get a great crush every batch. I'm also getting 79% consistent efficiency for every batch. Doesn't matter if it's a primarily barley based batch or primarily wheat.

Rev.

Thanks Rev. I was thinking I'll run the rye and wheat through and see how it looks. My mill is at factory setting, and I've been hitting my numbers real well. If nothing else, I'll hit it with the ol' rolling pin!

Back