Is this a Braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyweed

Reaction score
Guys,

we have a little brewery here in Wisconsin called the New Glarus brewing company. I am sure some of you have heard of it..they brew some great drink.

Anyway..they just came out with one that they call an "Ale" but after tasting it and reading the ingredients...I am thinking this is actually a BRAGGOT.

What do you all think?

Name: Wisconsin Belgian Red

Ingredients: whole montmorency cherries, Wisconsin Honey, Wisconsin farmed what and belgian roasted barley. Aged in oak barrels and balanced with Hallertau hops. Aged for a full year.

Highly carbonated, and intense cherry flavor. 5.1% ABV

Dan

Well very low alcohol isn't a good sign. To be a braggot and subsequently a mead, >50% of the fermentables must be honey, so you might need to call them up and ask, they might be able to tell you.

It might be braggot inspired, but to me it looks more like a fruit beer with some added honey.

I think in alcoholic beverages they don't necessarily have to list the ingredients in order of most to least by volume, like they'd have to on a box of cereal.

Belgian Red, VERY TASTY, is a Belgian "sour" ale. If you want to be "technical", you could call it a braggot. There is both honey and malt, but then you could also call a honey wheat beer a braggot then. It's up to how you want to "market" your beverage. :)

Hey Dragon...where is Salem, WI??? I actually work in West Salem, WI..but I don't think that's where you are.

Also...yeah, I'm not sure what they want to "call" the Belgian Red..as they sell it in WINE style bottles...not beer bottles, like all of their other beers.

Maybe they aren't sure what they are going to end up calling it either. Like I said..right now they call it an "Ale"..but that's far from what it is.

Dan

West Salem is up by La Crosse, I live down by the WI/IL border near Kenosha.
The Belgian Red has actually been out for a few years now.
It is considered a beer, and a lot of "Belgian" style ales are bottled in champagne bottles with corks.
:mug:

Cool. I learn something new everyday. Yeah, I am up by LaCrosse. I had never seen the Belgian Red before a couple days ago. It's good stuff.

Back