Proper fermentation temp for a belgian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcatbrewer

Reaction score
I just brewed my Belgian last night

OG: 1.098

Using Wyeast 3787

Right now the beer is sitting in my temperature controlled chest freezer and I have it at 60 degrees. The outside of the fermenter is at 61-62 degrees.

Is this to low of a temp for that kind of belgian? Should I raise the temps in a few days, and if so how high should I raise them?

I've been wanting to brew a Belgian too. Here is something I found on BYO:

http://***********/stories/beer-sty...ng-big-belgian-style-beers-tips-from-the-pros

http://***********/stories/techniqu...rmentation/640-fermenting-belgian-style-beers

Yea, it's too low to get that nice belgian characteristic. I'd get it up to 68 or so and then ramp up 2 degrees F per day until fermentation is complete. The recommended range is 64F to 78F.

daksin said:
Yea, it's too low to get that nice belgian characteristic. I'd get it up to 68 or so and then ramp up 2 degrees F per day until fermentation is complete. The recommended range is 64F to 78F.

The ramp up is key - you get different flavors at different temps as the yeast adjust to the environment. I've found that in hefe yeasts clove-like flavors are more pronounced from lower temps (high 60s) whereas banana is more pronounced at higher temps. Not sure if this extends to belgian strains, but I'd imagine it applies.

You are getting some good advice here. Get the brew out of the low 60's into the mid to upper 60's as soon as possible. When fermentation starts in earnest, allow the temp to rise as it progresses. If you try to lower the temps while fermentation is in progress, there is a real chance of stalling the fermentation. Start at about 65f & let rise naturally until finished. Good luck :)

Back