911 Ferm Help Needed!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyndenP

Reaction score
Its 930 my time. and i have to work soon. My Belgian Wit (from a extract kit) Is making me very nervous that the top is going to blow off. It was pitched with white labs Belgian wit yeast. and has been fermenting for almost 3 days.Last night i put a small diameter tube in because the air lock was already clogged. The problem is it appears the tube is clogging also until enough pressure builds and it pushes the clog through. Ok my questions are: Is this normal? How long should this continue? Should I really be concerned about a blow off? Is it typical of the yeast strain and or style? I dont know im a total noob. This is only my 3rd batch. Any help is greatly appreciated.(My landlord probably might appreciate it also)

Put the fermenter on a pan or something similar to keep and escaping krausen off the floor, and pop the top on the fermentor. If fermentation is that active, there is no danger of contamination.

It should be fine for now. In the future, I recommend getting some large-diameter clear vinyl tubing (cut to length @ lowes, et al), so that it just fits into the mouth of the carboy. With a blowoff tube that size, it won't get clogged.

Back