Has anyone here ever done a Schlitz clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel

Reaction score
First time posting but I’ve been reading for a week or so. Glad to be here.

So I’m wondering if anyone has had success in trying to do a Schlitz clone before. I couldn’t find a recipe on here. Does anyone have one or know where I could find one? I’m trying to do an extract version, btw.

It’d be great to clone Schlitz. I could take a case over to my dad’s and we could sit in the garage and drink it and he could yell at my mom just like old times when I was twelve.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys. I love this site!

Look for American adjunct lager, American premium lager or lawn mower beer recipes. That or follow Dude's suggestion.

Personally I say go wild and use some hops, make Classic American Pilsner.

Truth is you can buy Schlitz cheaper then you can make it.

jeff1980.jpg

Mmmmmmm....me and Schlitz circa 1980

1 lb EXTRA SUPER DUPER LIGHT DME
4 lbs Rice Solids
.5 lbs Corn Sugar

As for hops, don't bother. Carbonation is at a level of Extremely TOO much. Add a little dog piss in there and have a little sex in a canoe...

What those guys are trying to say is it is amazingly difficult to make a commercial beer clone like Schlitz, Corona or Bud. They are lagers and use adjuncts like corn or rice and are filtered. We can make lagers, of course, but we usually make ales that are a bit fruity and maybe hoppy and maybe malty. The beers I make are not universally liked by the Bud Light drinkers, and it would be very hard to make a beer that would be in that style. And as Brewpastor said, it would be more expensive to boot!

A lawnmower beer would be a light American ale and might be as close as you could get but would still not taste like Schlitz.

Welcome to HBT, by the way!

Yooper Chick said:
What those guys are trying to say is it is amazingly difficult to make a commercial beer clone like Schlitz, Corona or Bud. They are lagers and use adjuncts like corn or rice and are filtered. We can make lagers, of course, but we usually make ales that are a bit fruity and maybe hoppy and maybe malty. The beers I make are not universally liked by the Bud Light drinkers, and it would be very hard to make a beer that would be in that style. And as Brewpastor said, it would be more expensive to boot!

A lawnmower beer would be a light American ale and might be as close as you could get but would still not taste like Schlitz.

Welcome to HBT, by the way!

Always have to put it nicely don't you yoop?

Not completely true

On June 10, 1982, the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co. was acquired by Stroh Brewery Company of Detroit, Michigan. The regular beer is still produced, though in relatively small quantities, by the Pabst Brewing Company, along with three malt liquors (Schlitz Malt Liquor, Schlitz Red Bull, and Schlitz Bull Ice).

I believe Sclitz is a corn adjunct beer, as apposed to a rice adjunct. If you want to clone this beer you will have to know what the adjunct is.

i would recommend getting the lone star clone from AHS and seeing how that works out. i know that after i have a few of either of those beers, they both taste the same. ginny's little longorn saloon in austin has both of those, plus pabst, in stock all the time.

Get a good American Pilsner recipe, ferment as usual, throw into a secondary for a few weeks, mix with 10 gallons of water (you could use horse piss). Force carbonate and enjoy the lack of flavor and body.

I thought BYO magazine had a shlitz clone recipe in it, in one of the last couple of issues.

Thank god! :D

Back