Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewmike

Reaction score
Could I be making better beer by fermenting longer? I currently do a 7 primary, 7 secondary, 14 bottle condition day schedule and I have been reading on here that alot of people ferment for up to 3 weeks or more. When my beers are getting judged at competitions I've only broken 40 twice. Would longer fermentations help the beer turn out better?

Beer is done, when it is done. Three consecutive readings of the same specific gravith and enough time for yeast to perform the necessary clean-up. Unless you have dry hopped and need the contact time with the hops and beer, that's about it.

Breaking 40 is great and getting scores in the 30's is teriffice as well since judging is very subjective-congratulations!

That being said there is a lot more to fermentation than time, as already stated when fermentation is done, it's done, but then you move on to the conditioning process which will differ for each style of beer.

I would recommend "Brewing Better Beer" by Gordon Strong. It really goes into the finer aspects of brewing beer and improving the quality of your product from recipe design to fermentation techniques, aging, conditioning, packaging and entering competitions.

More so than how 'long' you ferment for, things like temperature and pitching rates will have a far greater impact on the quality of beer you are making.

I primary 2-3 weeks for most all my beers then right to the keg.

Breaking 40 is great and getting scores in the 30's is teriffice as well since judging is very subjective-congratulations!

That being said there is a lot more to fermentation than time, as already stated when fermentation is done, it's done, but then you move on to the conditioning process which will differ for each style of beer.

I would recommend "Brewing Better Beer" by Gordon Strong. It really goes into the finer aspects of brewing beer and improving the quality of your product from recipe design to fermentation techniques, aging, conditioning, packaging and entering competitions.

I actually have this book one of the dozen or so that have been given to me as gifts. I will actually have to read it now!

Back