Christmas in Connecticut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svudah

Reaction score
So, I just got back from a trip to the folks house in southern CT. While home, some friends took me out to a few of the new beer bars that have apparently been popping up all over New Haven and Milford. At first, I was psyched about this new trend towards micros and good imports, but each place seemed uber-yuppified and way overpriced. Having Saison Dupont on tap is really cool, charging 7.50 for 8 oz. is a little ridiculous. Charging 6-7 dollars a pint for Rogue or Fullers even more so.

Plus, I noticed about 80-90% of the people at the two places I went more than once (Delaney's and Prime 16) were drinking bottles of either High Life or Pabst.

Are these new high-end beer bars the bastard offspring of America's growing sophistication concerning beer? Is this a growing national trend or just something endemic to the Yale-New Haven area?

I think it has more to do with the Yale students that want to be seen somewhere cool, but don't have a clue about beer.

Rogue is generally overpriced everywhere. A six pack at the brewery runs $11.50-12.50. If Oregon's new excise tax goes through it will be $13.00-14.00.

Not all Connecticutians are yuppies! It's just that drinks are usually expensive and maybe one or two people in a group of friends know beer. The rest are tag-alongs who are shy or don't know any better or are hipsters and drink Papst 'cause it's somehow ironic.

Next time you're in the area, give BAR a try. They make great pizza and have been brewing their own beer for years. Prices are definitely more reasonable there too.

Seriously, where's the CT love in this place?

Not all CT people are yuppies, just most of them...

As for Delaney's and Prime 16, definitely alot of overlap on the crowds there. Most of the prime 16 staff hangs out at Delaney's and vice versa. Delaney's is my neighborhood bar and it's a great place with a great beer selection. The prices can be kinda steep, but that's why you have to get to know the staff;) You'll see alot of people drinking crappy beer at those bars because they also have a large college crowd and I know that when I was in college I couldn't afford $5-$6 per beer. Did you go to Delaney's on a monday night? I'm pretty sure that's when they have High Life bottles for $1.

Hmm, perhaps BAR has improved their beers? I used to go to their $1 pint Thursdays often and found it hard to find a decent beer (the blond was alright for a session beer and when they had their hef. that was good). The pizza was always bomb though, but come on, New Haven has the best pizza in the world.

Rudy's was a great spot for a while: nothing goes better with beer than pomme fritte.

I have plenty of love for the ol' CT, but I'm in Oregon now a.k.a. Beervana.

I don't really have much love for CT (at ALL), but I definitely enjoyed sitting with the doors open having a few good slices of pizza and a good beer.

Hmm, perhaps BAR has improved their beers? I used to go to their $1 pint Thursdays often and found it hard to find a decent beer (the blond was alright for a session beer and when they had their hef. that was good).

They had some issues with dirty beer lines for awhile and the owners didn't want to shell out the cash for new ones, but the brewmaster finally won the argument and it made a huge difference

Back