dextrose and priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
the sugar thing is confusing to me. is the priming sugar i buy at my lhbs dextrose, and is dextrose really just cane sugar? if there bagging up 1 lb for $$, im thinking like alot of ingredients i can find it elsewhere, called something else for$. what about confectionary sugar? its says sugar and cornstarch. i can get dump truck of that for what im paying for priming sugar. any thoughts?

Since I always have some extra light DME around to adjust pre-boil gravity I just prime with it instead of dextrose. One less ingredient to stock and works great, maybe a little slower to carbonate but aging is good for beer.

GT

no i havent seen the y.t. thing, whats it called? i understand what table sugar is. i know you can prime with dme. my question :
is corn sugar or dextrose available any where else besides lhbs under any other name?

Cane sugar is regular tablesugar that you buy in the grocery store. You should not use this, though. It's sucrose. I know you said you know what is is, but you also just asked where to buy it.

Dextrose is corn sugar also called priming sugar. You buy in at the LHBS. It's about $1/pound. You use 4 ounces per batch. You can keep it indefinitely in a ziploc bag or canister.

its pretty funny to read the comments on that video.

The guy bashes Mr. Beer after using 6# of wal-mart powdered sugar? I guess everybody has their snob-limits!

Back