Which quick disconnects to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPatBrewer

Reaction score
I just got a March pump for my birthday and now I need some quick disconnects to set everything up. I was looking to put it together in a toolbox like I have seen in some other threads. The question is, which quick disconnects should I use?

So far i have been looking at the Camlocks and the Chromed Brass quick disconnects on bargainfittings.com. I have also been looking at the plastic quick disconnects from minibrew.com as I have heard good things about them.

I have used the regular brass versions of the quick disconnects from bargain fittings and they are pretty nice. I don't have much experience with the others. I am also trying to avoid spending more $$ than I have to.

It is looking like I will need 6 female and 8 male fittings to set up my system the way I want it. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I have done a search and all I really found were a few "these are good" posts. I am looking for any info that might swing me in either direction. Thanks in advance for your help!

Here are some links:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=51_54
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=51_55
http://www.minibrew.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=9447eb1146b3447a1af4f7602cfac6c3

I use cam locks. It's the cheapest way to get stainless. Before them I used mcmaster Carr brass qd's and they were pretty nice but restricted flow as they are less than half inch id.

The plastic poly ones are what I've got. I've only used them on 2 brews so far and they seem to be ok, not sure how long the o-rings will last, but we'll see. The only drawback I'd say is that they have a "x" in the middle of the flow, so my first brew had some issues with getting clogged because of them and I was using whole leaf. Just something to consider.

+1 for cam locks. I just converted everything over to them with my new March Pump. Works great. I made up some adapter locks to hose barb too just to have.:ban:

I went with the cam locks after reading a bunch of stuff about flow. I like them. I was going to use the McMaster type but the cost was about the same. If cost savings is an issue they also make them in aluminum, and they are very low cost. I wouldn't think the contact time or cleaner type would be an issue with them.

I have used the colder polysulfone QD for about 8 years. I replace the o-rings at the beginning of every season. If you don't replace them annually, you will have the occasional torn o-ring on brew day. I prefer annual maintenance. Colders are significantly more expensive than ss camlocks. Colders are durable as I only have had to replace only one male fitting and one female fitting in 8 years. One advantage to the Colders is that they do not get hot enough to burn you.
All that said, if I was starting from scratch, I would definitely go with ss camlocks. Cheaper, more durable, no restrictions to flow (small hose barb holes and internal cross member pieces).

I have used the colder polysulfone QD for about 8 years. I replace the o-rings at the beginning of every season. If you don't replace them annually, you will have the occasional torn o-ring on brew day. I prefer annual maintenance. Colders are significantly more expensive than ss camlocks. Colders are durable as I only have had to replace only one male fitting and one female fitting in 8 years. One advantage to the Colders is that they do not get hot enough to burn you.
All that said, if I was starting from scratch, I would definitely go with ss camlocks. Cheaper, more durable, no restrictions to flow (small hose barb holes and internal cross member pieces).

Where do you get your o-rings for your Colders? I've had them on my brew rig for about 13 years now and have resorted to using wrapped teflon tape where the o-ring fell apart. Works, but I get a slow leak and need to replace them if not outright replace everything with camlocks.

Thanks for all the input! Do you guys think I need 1/2" nipples to fit the silicone hose or can I just put it over the 1/2" threads? I am going to use a clamp either way.

Thanks for all the input! Do you guys think I need 1/2" nipples to fit the silicone hose or can I just put it over the 1/2" threads? I am going to use a clamp either way.

I don't use any nipples with my camlocks, I just dulled the threads a bit on the fittings ('cuz those suckers were freakin' sharp enough to slice my fingers, never mind hot silicone tubing!) and shoved the tubing right up on them.

Works just fine, don't really even need hose clamps as long as you're running the typical centrifugal pumps...

Cheers!

I just slide the silicone right over the threads. I also use 90's on the upper connections to eliminate kinking.

I had the colder polysulfone connections on my 3 tier rig and this weekend had a disasterous brewday. This was the first time doing a brew with a really high hop bill and leaf plugs. just one or two leaves in the line was enough to kill the flow to the pump.

They have this crossmember that goes across the inlet which is a magnet for any type of solid in the line.

I'm already on the hunt for replacement cam locks; after 2 years just one event like this past Saturday is enough to convince me to switch :)

Another happy camlock user here. I went with the aluminum since I was on a super tight budget when building my HERMS. They've held up great, and I have no complaints.

Back