Official Beer Of The Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Beer Of The Week - October 19 - 25, 2008

Russian River Damnation

damnation.jpg

Russian River Damnation

To help with the tasting, here's some info from the BJCP on Belgian Golden Strong Ale

18D. Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Aroma: Complex with significant fruity esters, moderate spiciness and low to moderate alcohol and hop aromas. Esters are reminiscent of lighter fruits such as pears, oranges or apples. Moderate spicy, peppery phenols. A low to moderate yet distinctive perfumy, floral hop character is often present. Alcohols are soft, spicy, perfumy and low-to-moderate in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Yellow to medium gold in color. Good clarity. Effervescent. Massive, long-lasting, rocky, often beady, white head resulting in characteristic “Belgian lace” on the glass as it fades.
Flavor: Marriage of fruity, spicy and alcohol flavors supported by a soft malt character. Esters are reminiscent of pears, oranges or apples. Low to moderate phenols are peppery in character. A low to moderate spicy hop character is often present. Alcohols are soft, spicy, often a bit sweet and are low-to-moderate in intensity. Bitterness is typically medium to high from a combination of hop bitterness and yeast-produced phenolics. Substantial carbonation and bitterness leads to a dry finish with a low to moderately bitter aftertaste. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated. Light to medium body, although lighter than the substantial gravity would suggest (thanks to sugar and high carbonation). Smooth but noticeable alcohol warmth. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Always effervescent. Never astringent.
Overall Impression: A golden, complex, effervescent, strong Belgian-style ale.
Comments: Strongly resembles a Tripel, but may be even paler, lighter-bodied and even crisper and drier. The drier finish and lighter body also serves to make the assertive hopping and spiciness more prominent. References to the devil are included in the names of many commercial examples of this style, referring to their potent alcoholic strength and as a tribute to the original example (Duvel). The best examples are complex and delicate. High carbonation helps to bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish. Traditionally bottle-conditioned (“refermented in the bottle”).
History: Originally developed by the Moortgat brewery after WWII as a response to the growing popularity of Pilsner beers.
Ingredients: The light color and relatively light body for a beer of this strength are the result of using Pilsner malt and up to 20% white sugar. Noble hops or Styrian Goldings are commonly used. Belgian yeast strains are used – those that produce fruity esters, spicy phenolics and higher alcohols – often aided by slightly warmer fermentation temperatures. Fairly soft water.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.070 - 1.095, FG: 1.005 - 1.016, IBUs: 22-35, SRM: 3-6, ABV: 7.5-10.5%
Commercial Examples: Duvel, Russian River Damnation, Hapkin, Lucifer, Brigand, Judas, Delirium Tremens, Dulle Teve, Piraat, Great Divide Hades, Avery Salvation, North Coast Pranqster, Unibroue Eau Benite, AleSmith Horny Devil

And just a heads up for the next week and the coming months...

Oct 26 - Nov 1 Avery Salvation
I will keep the beer of the week up to date in the first post and edit this one for coming months.

October: Belgian Strong Golden
Russian River Damnation
Avery Salvation

Previous Beers
Feb 17-23 New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
Feb 24 - Mar 1 Samuel Smith Taddy Porter
Mar 2-8 Ayinger Celebrator
Mar 9-15 Spaten Optimator
Mar 16-22 Paulaner Salvator
Mar 23-29 Sam Adams Double Bock
Mar 30 - Apr 5 Homebrew/Micro Doppelbock
Apr 6-12
Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier
Apr 13-19 Schneider Weisse
Apr 20-26 Sprecher Hefe Weisse
Apr 27 - May 3 Homebrew/Micro Hefeweizen
May 4-10 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
May 11-17 Flying Dog Pale Ale
May 18-24 Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale
May 25-31 Homebrew/Micro Pale Ale
Jun 1-7 Pete's Wicked Ale
Jun 8-14 Big Sky Moose Drool
Jun 15-21 Abita Turbodog
Jun 22-28 Brookly Brown Ale
Jun 29- Jul 5
Homebrew/Micro Brown Ale
Jul 6-12 Alaskan Summer Ale
Jul 13-19 Pyramid Curve Ball
Jul 20-26 St. Arnold Fancy Lawnmower
Jul 27 - Aug 2 Homebrew/Micro Kolsch
Aug 3-9 HBT 8.8.8 Russian Imperial Stout
Aug 10-16 Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Aug 17-23 Goose Island Oatmeal Stout
Aug 31 - Sept 6 Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Sept 7-13 Spaten Oktoberfest
Sept 14-20 Gordon Biersch Marzen

Sweet Ill be in next week. I just hate Fat Tire way to much to buy a 6 pack of it. No one would probably want to read my ranting review of it anyways.

No worries. Part of this is just an exercize in tasting the different flavors in beer and training the palate. I've tried to vary the style, both in strength and color month to month, and I've also tried to make sure the geographic center of the different beers changes week to week, plus homebrew samples at the end of every month.

I will probably sit out first round as I am a fat tire-hate, but will definitely pick up in the second round. From the list, I can tell I will be able to get about 95% of the list.

Greg

We're also planning some homebrew and commercial swaps, so that should help in getting some of the samples. I've got this thing planned out for the rest of the year already and there are many I can't get.

Here's my official tasting of Fat Tire. It is from a 22 oz. bomber purchased from a local store. The bottle has a best before date of May 16, 2008.

Aroma - Bready fruit, a little bit of malt in the nose. No real hop aroma

Appearance - Amber orange, with a half inch off-white rocky head. Very clear. Some lace around the glass as I sip.

Flavor - First to hit my tongue is biscuity toast, followed by a little sweetness and fruit flavors with the malt, maybe a hint of apple. The finish is clean bitterness that lingers. Dry at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. The beer lingers around my tongue for a while.

Overall - I like the bready biscuit flavors from the malt. This beer is not hoppy, or overly bitter, but very balanced. The malt comes through in the front and gives way to the bitterness at the end. I don't detect any off flavors in this bottle. A nice easy-drinking amber.

I'd like to be, as I haven't enjoyed one of those in a while, but I have to find the time with some folks around the house. SWMBO is buying some beer this afternoon, and I placed an order with her.

I'm sorry I missed the Fat Tire. I haven't had one of those in a while. If I get the chance, I might still put up something up about it.

TL

TexLaw said:
I'd like to be, as I haven't enjoyed one of those in a while, but I have to find the time with some folks around the house. SWMBO is buying some beer this afternoon, and I placed an order with her.

I'm sorry I missed the Fat Tire. I haven't had one of those in a while. If I get the chance, I might still put up something up about it.

TL

I actually drank and noted on the FatTire, but found myself late to the party.

olllllo said:
I actually drank and noted on the FatTire, but found myself late to the party.

Just to get a little off topic, that's why I would prefer to see these as a series of threads, rather than one. You can have one sticky that has the schedule, updates, close-ups of the beer and style guidelines, and what not. Then, we can have a separate thread for tasting notes. That way, someone can come in late and still contribute. Also, if for some reason a discussion starts, it can continue for more than a couple days before getting pushed aside by the next week's beer.

TL

TexLaw said:
Just to get a little off topic, that's why I would prefer to see these as a series of threads, rather than one. You can have one sticky that has the schedule, updates, close-ups of the beer and style guidelines, and what not. Then, we can have a separate thread for tasting notes. That way, someone can come in late and still contribute. Also, if for some reason a discussion starts, it can continue for more than a couple days before getting pushed aside by the next week's beer.

TL
Maybe what I'll do tomorrow is start the Taddy Porter tasting in it's own thread, and we'll just keep this one for updates and questions.

Sounds good to me, Brewsmith. Now, if I can only lay my hands on some Taddy Porter! There was none at the store SWMBO went to yesterday, and I doubt I'll have a chance to go shopping anywhere else today or tomorrow.:mad:

TL

I kept looking, but must have missed this thread in the new posts. I've found it now, and am sorry I missed the Fat Tire week, as I really like Fat Tire, and just put my second FT clone in the ale pail.

I just printed the list of upcoming beers, and will talk to the beer suppliers today, at the grocery store that I work at too see what they can get me. We have a pi$$ poor beer selection in our town, but they say they have all kinds of stuff that they only sell in other towns. So here's crossing my fingers.

PS. I'm mostly just posting here to get this thread listed in 'My Replies'.

I'm not sure if you guys have done threads like this before or not, but this is a great idea. I'm always looking for a new excuse to stop by one of my favorite beer stores and pick something up. I'm probably out for the Taddy Porter as I've made two trips already this week. SWMBO and all.... But I'm definitely in for the Celebrator next week.

I'll be updating the thread tonight for the month of March. Threads for previous weeks will remain open for further tastings and comments. In honor and tradition of Lent, March will be Doppelbock month.

Now, here's one I know I can get. I'm still ticked that I couldn't find any Taddy Porter around. Of course, since some folks are shooting laser beams at my eyes tomorrow morning, I may have to send SWMBO back out beer shopping. :)

The good news is that I already have the better part of a sixer of Optimator hanging around for that tasting!

TL

TexLaw said:
Now, here's one I know I can get. I'm still ticked that I couldn't find any Taddy Porter around. Of course, since some folks are shooting laser beams at my eyes tomorrow morning, I may have to send SWMBO back out beer shopping. :)

The good news is that I already have the better part of a sixer of Optimator hanging around for that tasting!

TL

I think it's a little off, but I'll send a couple bottles of the Taddy out to you along with the Bock I promised. I'm sure your palatte's a lot more developed than mine, I'm wondering if you'll agree with me that it's a bit... not right. The Taddy's not my favorite, anyway, it's too much toffee-sweet.

The Celebrator, on the other hand... I can't wait to re-sample this. Actually, I think it's an interesting contrast between the two beers, both being quite sweet, but in very different ways.

Updated for this week...

Paulaner Salvator, the originator of the Doppelbock style, brewed as liquid bread during fasting at Lent. Since this is the last week of Lent, I figured it would be appropriate.

I updated the BOTW for this week which is Samuel Adams Double Bock. I wanted the last commercial example to be an American one and one that could be found pretty widely. Has anyone even seen this beer this year?

Thread is updated for this week. This is the last week for doppelbock, open to all microbrewed and homebrewed examples. Post 'em all and get them done. Next week starts hefeweizen...

BOTW updated for this week. April is Hefeweizen month. A lighter break from all the Doppelbock last month.

Back