Enhancing the Chocolate/Coffee/Vanilla taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manoau2002

Reaction score
The other day I bought two Miners Stout Kits (made by Black Rock) I made the first one using just 1 kg of sugar. The second kit I would like to do some experimenting with. Where I live you can't buy any grains or malt extract. I am wondering what I could try ( and how much) to enhance the chocolate, coffee, and vanilla flavors.

coffee cold brew your own and add to taste. chocolate get cocoa and add it to a secondary. Vanilla only way to get a true taste is use whole beans.

How much cocoa would you add for 23 liters. I read somewhere that someone used bakers chocolate how much of that could you add. Would pure vanilla extract also work? Would adding coffee beans to the boil also work. What would you add to increase the licorice taste?

Do not boil coffee beans, it will give the beer an acrid taste. If you want to use whole beans, add them to the secondary as a "dry-hop."

I have read that star anise gives a licorice flavor. Not sure how to use it, though.

Back