Control Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anon2

Reaction score
Good day HBT users:

I am in the midst of a new brewery build and could use some advice from the group. I've corresponded in the background with Ohio-Ed and he has encouraged me to post here.

First, I will be reading the brewing primer as it applies .. just haven't completed that read yet.

Second, a bit about my system: (I'll get a pic posted before too long)
1) Basic Brutus single tier with 20 gallon Stout pots (The back bar is lowered to allow for heat escape)
2) 3 burners from Brewer's Hardware - NG
3) 3 Pumps
4) Herms .. the HLT has 50' of stainless tubing inside for heat exchange / and also cooling

So far pretty straight forward ..

Controls:

BCS 462
4 Temperature probes
3 Honeywell SV9501M2528 smart gas valves with intermittent pilot
8 12 volt stainless valves (see JonWs Build)
1 120 V stainless Valve
Touchscreen monitor
Embedded laptop PC running Linux Mint 10 and Cell Writer

Under the lower rungs of the stand will be a 5" tall x 58" long x 18" wide stainless box to house everything. I'm planning on plugging the pumps into the side along with all of the valve and temperature wiring ... same for the gas valves. The touchscreen will be mounted to a swiveling arm and below it I will have 7 or 8 of the LED switches that Ohio-Ed has in his build set up for On / Off / Auto ... one switch will be a master On Off for the system. These will be mounted below the touchscreen in a stainless box of their own.

I'm pretty sure that I can get the majority of the wiring configured properly from a functional standpoint and my GFIs out where I brew should provide adequate protection ...

However ... I liked the idea of having power distributed via what looked to be circuit breakers in Ed's box ... maybe it is overkill but if it provides extra protection for the system components, then I am interested. My thoughts would be to split of a pump circuit, BCS / PC / Monitor circuit / 24v power supply circuit, and a 12v power supply circuit. Last, I plan on adding some sort of cooling fan and vents and it should probably be separate too. I don't think I have total power needs that would preclude having a single long extension cord to plug everything in but I need to do the homework to get total amp requirements .. I'll get that started too (after I read the primer)

Of course, I'm also interested in the goodies to make the circuitry look clean (like Ed's box) and of course what ever would be necessary for electrical isolation withing the box.

I'm not that good with Visio but I will see if I can draw out what I want to do.

Edit: Added a simple drawing showing my intended connections.

I welcome any comments suggestions.

Regards:

Dan

NewBrutusWiringExample.jpg

Back