Hops plants aren't so happy- need advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi guys, I started a little hop garden this year with some rhizomes I got from my LBS. I had them indoors and when they were about 6" I planted them outside, it's been about 2 months since they were planted outside.

I only have 3 going, a cascade, a centennial, and a nugget.

Anyway, they were looking really good for a month or so an then started started to get yellowed leaved a some holes in the leaves.

I gave them a little seaweed fertilizer a few weeks ago but it didn't seem to help. I just looked at the leaves and didnt see any bugs on them.

Any suggestions to what's wrong?

image-701594342.jpg

image-933419743.jpg

from my limited experience, discoloration in leaves is generally caused by nutrient deficiencies. Id suggest giving them a shot of fish emulsion and plenty water. also, try spraying them with a light solution of vinegar, dish soap and water mixture. Very light on the dish soap and vinegar, just a bit, maybe 4 or 5 drops of soap in a spray bottle, and maybe a tablespoon of white vinegar. Hope this helps!

I haven't been giving them any fertilizer except for the small amount the other week. Here in the northeast, we're getting a ton of rain so when things dry out a bit I'll give them a shot of fertilizer.

Anyone suggest a good fertilizer? As far as the numbers in fertilizers, what's important.

I'm talking about x-x-x numbers.

That i wont be much help with, hopefully this bump will get someone to help you out :)

3-1-2 type blend would probably be best for the vegetive growth (ex. 15-5-10) then a higher phosphorus blend for the flowering stage. Just check with your local farm supply store to see what they have available.

I recently had some good luck mixing two different types of Fish Emulsion, one was a 5-1-1 and the other a 0-10-10. Things really took off after that feeding. :mug:

I haven't been giving them any fertilizer except for the small amount the other week. Here in the northeast, we're getting a ton of rain so when things dry out a bit I'll give them a shot of fertilizer.

Anyone suggest a good fertilizer? As far as the numbers in fertilizers, what's important.

I'm talking about x-x-x numbers.
you can keep things simple and go for three even numbers - 6-6-6, 10-10-10, etc. plants will suck up what they need and disregard the rest.

if you wanna get all fancy, the first number - nitrogen - is what plants need during vegetative growth (the stage that hops are in right now). so you could start the growing season with something like a 10-5-5, 7-3-3, etc. later in the season, when the plant is concentrating on cone production, boost up the last 2 numbers (phosphorus and potassium) like a 5-12-10 or 8-11-11.

beware of 20-20-20 or any fert with a really high number. more is not better. in fact, it's better to fertilize less (diluted) and more often. you can easily hurt the plant with too much fertilizer. think of the stuff as steroids for plants. you don't want any OD's.

Back