Temp control... for dummy (that's me)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeaterbait

Reaction score
Ok, I have read and searched and searched and read, now that my brain is totally useless I will ask.

I am installing a 2000w element in my HLT so I can save on propane. I would like to build a controller to set for a specific temp. I have found loads of schematics on here to do that, but everything I am finding is that and a WHOLE lot more. I would just like a controller that let's me do it the Ronco way, set it and forget it.

From what I gather, I will need a PID, SSR and probe. Handily I found this on eBay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-PID...prg=1088&rk=2&sd=200907088097&#ht_3419wt_1362

The bad part is, I really don't know enough to wire them all together. Is there a thread that I have overlooked to cover something this simple?

I am building an electric kettle as well, I would be interested in this too.

A prebuilt temp controller like the one listed should work well to control the HLT temp.
If you also want to control the Boil Kettle you will need the ability to run the element at full power and/or control power to the element.

Some PIDs have a "manual" mode which can be used to control the boil.

Back