A encounter with the Sheriff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirRageous

Reaction score
I posted this story in another thread but thought it deserves it own thread.

Well, last weekend was the Balloonmeister (Rally Chairman) at the 26th Annual St. Patrick's Day Balloon Rallye in Belen, New Mexico, USA where 40 hot air balloons drifted over the Rio Grande valley south of Albuquerque. After flying, we enjoyed my Toejam Robust Porter and a couple other brews at the tailgate party. It was a huge hit.

The rally was held at a public park where alcohol is "officially" prohibited but the local city police have told us that as long as we keep it low keyed and nobody gets rowdy, no one will say anything. Cool!

Then the County Sheriff came up to us and visited for awhile. He is running for re-election and was out "politikin". He saw the beers and asked about it. Nervously, I told him what the city police had said about drinking in the park. He said he didn't care about all that but what about all the unlabled bottles? I told him about homebrewing and offered him a taste. He said that since he was armed, he could not drink alcohol but it sounded interesting.

He wandered away but a few minutes later came back to the party and asked if the offer to taste was still good. Then he said he had locked his gun up in his car and was ready taste our beer. He loved it and we may have another convert to the obsession. :rockin:

Anyone else have any interesting "positive" encounters with homebrewing and law enforcement?

So, um.........It was ok to drink since his gun was locked in his car? The car that he would presumably be getting into once his drinkin' was done?

Not to say having a drink or two then driving is unsafe but the logic is hilarious.

So, um.........It was ok to drink since his gun was locked in his car? The car that he would presumably be getting into once his drinkin' was done?

Not to say having a drink or two then driving is unsafe but the logic is hilarious.

Yep, that thought crossed my mind also. But to his credit, he only had a few small sample cups. Probably no more than one 12 oz bottle.

That is awesome, Let me go lock my gun in the car so I can drink with you guys :) Then I'll walk back to teh car and put my gu back on!? :drunk: I'm surprised he was allowed to drink in uniform.

Ohhh...he was just a sheriff who was carrying while off-duty. My brother is a cop. They are not allowed to carry off-duty while consuming alcohol. That's all. He wasn't working, just carrying while off-duty. Cool guy though. He would get my vote.

In many States is is illegal to carry (concealed or "on the hip") while consuming or while in an establishment that sells alcohol. I am not surprised that these same rules apply to off-duty officers....and if they don't they probably should.

In many States is is illegal to carry (concealed or "on the hip") while consuming or while in an establishment that sells alcohol. I am not surprised that these same rules apply to off-duty officers....and if they don't they probably should.

Definitely the law in NM (and part of required signage for pubs)

My understanding in New Mexico (yes, we are the wild, wild west of movies and tv) that certified law enforcement officers may carry concealed or non-concealed firearms into liquor establishments in the performance of their duties. They may also carry in these places off-duty but are prohibited from consuming alcohol. An exception to the consuming rule is there for "undercover operations" where consuming alcohol is necessary for the furtherence of an investigation.

New Mexico also just passed a law permitting civilians who are registered under our "Concealed Carry Permit Law" to carry in restaurants who also serve alcohol (like Applebees and Chilis). However, the person may not consume alchohol while in possession of a firearm. The may not carry in bars whose primary business is selling alcohol, not food.

Ahhh.....off-duty. I got it. Makes much more sense. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Again, this was the County Sheriff himself. The top law enforcement official in the county. (BTW, our counties out here are mostly larger than the entire state of Rhode Island.) But he is primarily a politician. He is off-duty whenever he says he is off-duty. But he is a nice guy though.

Again, this was the County Sheriff himself. The top law enforcement official in the county. (BTW, our counties out here are mostly larger than the entire state of Rhode Island.) But he is primarily a politician. He is off-duty whenever he says he is off-duty. But he is a nice guy though.

Might be larger, but certainly don't match the population density...

Law here is that I can't carry into anyplace that requires you to be 21 to enter. So, I can carry in a restaurant that sells booze, but not a bar or tavern. I keep a lock box in my car just for that reason. If I'm carrying and need to go into my daughter's school or decided to stop and have a few, I can secure my weapon before I go in. I don't mind because that makes complete sense to me. I know how some folks change when they drink, so I don't want everyone in the bar to have that easy of access to a firearm when they're getting hammered and mean.

I wouldn't vote for the guy just for that, but I'd definitely give him the benefit of the doubt. If it were a toss up between him and another guy, then I'd probably go for him!

:off:Wasn't it in AZ that people were protesting their right to bear arms and were literally bearing their arms not any more than 200 ft from the standing President? I think that is freakin insane!! To carry a gun near the president is shocking

My understanding in New Mexico (yes, we are the wild, wild west of movies and tv) that certified law enforcement officers may carry concealed or non-concealed firearms into liquor establishments in the performance of their duties. They may also carry in these places off-duty but are prohibited from consuming alcohol. An exception to the consuming rule is there for "undercover operations" where consuming alcohol is necessary for the furtherence of an investigation.

New Mexico also just passed a law permitting civilians who are registered under our "Concealed Carry Permit Law" to carry in restaurants who also serve alcohol (like Applebees and Chilis). However, the person may not consume alchohol while in possession of a firearm. The may not carry in bars whose primary business is selling alcohol, not food.

There are only 2 States that do not issue concealed carry licences...IL ans WI.

Good point and that's exactly why I live out here. I have found that the more densly a place is populated ... the more dense the polulation. :D

I just moved away from NM about 4 months ago.

I believe the ABQ metro area is around 800,000 people. Entire state of RI is just over a million. Not too much of a difference in population density.

Anyone else have any interesting "positive" encounters with homebrewing and law enforcement?

Every time I crack open one of my own beers, it's a positive encounter between homebrewing and law enforcement!

cops are still (mostly) human... most of them enjoy beer just like the rest of us.

One of my best friends went to school for criminal justice when we went off to college. He's now a sheriff in the town we grew up in and we still get together 10x or so times a year and get smashed :drunk::drunk: just like we used to when we were younger.

With all the politicing and S-house lawyering aside....Sounds like a cool guy and someone I'd feel good about voting for. Screw the law....let common sense reign.

:off:Wasn't it in AZ that people were protesting their right to bear arms and were literally bearing their arms not any more than 200 ft from the standing President? I think that is freakin insane!! To carry a gun near the president is shocking

Yeah it was some militia ******....trying to impress the ladies with his AR-15

Actually the highest ranking law enforcement official in any county is the Coroner. The Coroner is also the only person in the state that can put the Sheriff in jail!

Back