recipe idea, good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdahl1289

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing my own recipe. Think it will be good or bad?
4.25 lbs. Muntons Extra light DME
1 lbs. Corn sugar (Dextrose)
3.3 lbs. Briess Dark Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract

60 min boil
60 min 1 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops
5 min 1oz. Czech Saaz Pellet Hops

wyeast American Lager Yeast

1st stage 7 days at 48 degree
2nd stage 4 weeks at 48 degree

this will be 6 gallon batch.
:ban::ban:

a dark lager. I like yuengling alot, but do not want to clone it. Something in its ball park. Was thinking i should steap grains for my dark color instead of the dark LME.

Sounds like a ton of fermentable. Just threw your ingredients into brewsmith and you have a beer starting at 1.077 which would be more in line with a boch and nothing like what you are looking for if you want something like yuengling. Could be a good beer just might not be what you are aiming at. I would eliminate the corn sugar either way you look at it though.

or how about I keep the recipe and just use a different yeast, maybe a Belgian Wheat Activator Wyeast? maybe it is to soon for me to try and formulate my own brew.

you can use a lager yeast, but it will be a stronger lager... closer to a boch without the color and hops to match the style. It's your beer brew it up as you see fit. It may be the best beer you have made.

Back