Storing bulk DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
A found a few threads about storing bulk DME and most people say theirs comes in a box with a double bag inside and they just store in it. my 50# of DME came in a large bag (I'm assuming with an inner bag). Any ideas how to store? I was thinking I may could but this bag into like a storage container or something, but the bag is not shaped well for that (shaped just like a bulk grain bag, just paper on plastic). ideas?

It would be a big, sticky job but I would repack it in 3 and 5 pound vacuum sealed bags. Then store them in a large plastic tub.

Vacuum sealing DME is a problem...the powder likes to escape with the air being drawn out.

Yeah, that should work. Squeeze as much of the air out as you can. I'd consider double-bagging them too, or at least storing the Ziploc bags inside another plastic bag of some sort. DME is a real mess if it gets loose. :)

I have used my vacuum saver successfully by using rolled bags and making them long enough that I can actually stand the bag up or place it lower than the unit. Initially I squezze most of the air out of the bag then run the unit on dry vacuum. I have a overflow trough in my unit that catches anything that gets into the unit, but I have not really experienced a problem to this point.

I just sealed up several bags of various sizes and it did a really nice job. Granted, you use up large amounts of the roll, but if you are careful, the bags can be re-sealed as you remove some of the DME.

The unit is really great for crushed or uncrushed grain storage and hops too.

Salute! :mug:

This is possibly a mistake, but i just keep it in the large bag it came in. I roll the top of the bag down tight and hold it shut with a clip.

Back